Rear window dimensions? by D_sensitized
Started on: 09-15-2015 06:55 PM
Replies: 9 (790 views)
Last post by: hobbywrench on 06-08-2021 11:57 AM
D_sensitized

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2015 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D_sensitizedSend a Private Message to D_sensitizedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have the dimensions on the rear window? Or better yet a drawing?
I broke mine today and will try to make a replacement out of some lexan I can get for free. I may still end up replacing it with another glass one but couldn't find the dimensions though searching so thought it would be good if someone who does have them could post them up.

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mcguiver3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get some cardboard and make a template, then cut the Lexan.

Done it already on 3 of my race cars.
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2015 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a rear window that I cut from a kit car I am building. I am in North Idaho near Spokane Washington. Contact me if you are interested in it.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

paulmckibben

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2015 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulmckibbenClick Here to visit paulmckibben's HomePageSend a Private Message to paulmckibbenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sixteen years ago Fiero guru Ed Parks (then owner of The Fiero Factory, since retired) was asked about removal and replacement of the Fiero rear window. Here is his reply:

"Rear windows are part of the body strength, by design. They were tempered differently, nearly twice as thick as other Fiero glass, are extremely difficult to remove, and use different compounds to install. (Not butyl windshield sealant, but an entirely different epoxy.) They are different than any other Fiero glass. (I'll be glad to furnish the collision repair manual reference page.) That includes the windshield, which is also considered a structural frame part."

"I would let a professional glass shop remove and definitely let them reinstall properly."

Give this some thought before replacing this window with a non-standard material.

Paul McKibben
fierosails.com

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2015 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know the dimensions but have a question for you OP, is it legal up there to do that? I would check on that before going any further with the Plexiglas. I know down here it is not legal to replace glass with Plexiglas for street vehicles anyway, but if you don't have a safety inspection you can disregard what I said.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

D_sensitized

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D_sensitizedSend a Private Message to D_sensitizedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responses.
Joe, thanks for the offer, but I have found some more local glass that is a bit closer.

If it is such an important part of the frame structure than I will probably try to go with a glass replacement.

I'm not sure of the legality of it to be honest, didn't think of that. However we have no inspections or testing here unless you get pulled over and the cop decides you need one.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2021 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a very typical forum thread. A question is asked, and people say you SHOULD do this, and SHOULD NOT do that, but fail, in 6 years to actually provide an answer to the original posters question.....

I found this thread, trying to find the dimensions myself, and came across this dead end.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made one but you need to get some decal preferably a dot matrix fade for the edging so you do not see roof liner etc. Use Lexan as it is stronger than a regular acrylic doesn't yellow resistant to the shatter effect. Hardest part is getting all the window sealer and glass out of it took me days. I made a cardboard template. I tried to buy one second hand but they cracked it. The next idea i had was putting in a ute pickup truck rear window was wanting to install one with a sliding door but pointed out engine fumes might circulate.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 06-04-2021).]

reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paulmckibben:

Sixteen years ago Fiero guru Ed Parks (then owner of The Fiero Factory, since retired) was asked about removal and replacement of the Fiero rear window. Here is his reply:

"Rear windows are part of the body strength, by design. They were tempered differently, nearly twice as thick as other Fiero glass, are extremely difficult to remove, and use different compounds to install. (Not butyl windshield sealant, but an entirely different epoxy.) They are different than any other Fiero glass. (I'll be glad to furnish the collision repair manual reference page.) That includes the windshield, which is also considered a structural frame part."

"I would let a professional glass shop remove and definitely let them reinstall properly."

Give this some thought before replacing this window with a non-standard material.

Paul McKibben
fierosails.com

If you think that a "professional glass shop" is going to know more about replacing a rear window in a 35 year old mid engined car than you do, you're crazy.
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2021 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The advice about difficulty of removal is accurate. I have a removed 85 GT window. Replaced with lexan, but would use acrylic (plex) next time (cheaper). Beware of stiff mastic or solid bolt-in of plastic . The coefficient of expansion difference will cause cracking. Either oversized bolt/rivet holes or clips should work. I used a low modulus caulk and clips on another large rear hatch application, but have never really solved water ingress at the lower edge. I see that Porsche's track 911 uses a plastic rear window, but (of course) ,no details. The inherent water leakage problem with sealing plastic is solved in the Fiero with the recessed, vertical position of the window. I had not heard about the structural feature defined above.

The oem sealant was rock hard . I used a putty knife and gentle hammering to start , gradually switching to thin cut wood wedges. The window will reseal itself after loosening- frustrating. Use many wood wedges and finish with the classic "garotte" cable wire with two handles Due to the water resistant placement (above) only a felt-like strip was used inboard on Fiero with simple clips outboard. No leaks or squeaks many years now.

[This message has been edited by hobbywrench (edited 06-08-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock