87 GT Clutch Issues by computer_engineer
Started on: 08-31-2015 02:10 PM
Replies: 170 (3992 views)
Last post by: computer_engineer on 10-23-2017 12:07 PM
computer_engineer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2017 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for computer_engineerClick Here to visit computer_engineer's HomePageSend a Private Message to computer_engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always good advice - thanks Patrick!

Do you think that I could use a little brake clean to soften up the left over gasket sealer? That is, applied very carefully with a rag or shop towel, not sprayed directly onto the surfaces. Besides, with things upside down, spraying around there is just a plain bad idea.

I am still leaning toward using a small amount of that Aviation Form-A-Gasket stuff on those little tabs that are between the bearing cap and the block on the output side. But I have doubts doing that when the instructions with the gasket I got (Perma-Dry) say to not use any. Hopefully someone else will chime in...I can't believe I am the only one that has ever replaced an oil pan gasket on a 2.8 V6.

IP: Logged
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some info here https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/130465.html

I went for both on mine. The rtv being a careful/considered/tactical application.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by computer_engineer:

Does anyone know where I can get the gasket between the EGR body and the Y-Pipe for an 87 GT???

The ONLY place I've ever found that gasket was the Fiero Store.
https://www.fierostore.com/...ail.aspx?p=1&s=68299

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

computer_engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2017 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for computer_engineerClick Here to visit computer_engineer's HomePageSend a Private Message to computer_engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the timing chain cover made out of something other than steel?

Seems like the metal it is made from is getting scratches on it from the razor blade I am using to scrape the old gasket sealant off. Either that, or the metal is just getting cleaned off really well.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2017 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is the timing chain cover made out of something other than steel?

Put a magnet on it. That'll tell ya.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2017 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aluminium.
computer_engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2017 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for computer_engineerClick Here to visit computer_engineer's HomePageSend a Private Message to computer_engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any feedback from anyone on using a little Aviation Form-A-Gasket on the tabs that stick below the block level next to the bearing cap on the output side??? Maybe a little more around the timing chain cover....seems like that is what I am cleaning up from the original seal. When it dried up and fell off, was where it was leaking.

Just concerned in using the Form-A-Gasket when the instructions say NOT to use any.

Opinions???
computer_engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2017 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for computer_engineerClick Here to visit computer_engineer's HomePageSend a Private Message to computer_engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

computer_engineer

335 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Okay,

Getting at the sealing surfaces near the oil pump is getting tricky. I would like to remove the oil pump to make getting at the surfaces easier.

Are there any pitfalls involved in removing it, that I need to be aware of? Are there any seals involved? Looks like it is just one bolt, and out it comes, but there is the drive shaft for the distributor...any issues there?

Thanks!
computer_engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2017 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for computer_engineerClick Here to visit computer_engineer's HomePageSend a Private Message to computer_engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

computer_engineer

335 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Here are the little pockets I think were leaking before, that I need to clean out to give a clean surface for the seal to sit against.

I know that using a gasket sealer like the Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket, should not be necessary, but I am hoping that it won't hurt anything either.

Has anyone else replaced an oil pan gasket on a 2.8 V6 and used a Perma-Dry Fel Pro gasket???
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2017 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Has anyone else replaced an oil pan gasket on a 2.8 V6 and used a Perma-Dry Fel Pro gasket???

I suspect a big part of the problem you're having with getting answers to these oil pan questions is due to the heading of this thread... 87 GT Clutch Issues

My advice is you start a new thread about this oil pan issue.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-22-2017).]

computer_engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for computer_engineerClick Here to visit computer_engineer's HomePageSend a Private Message to computer_engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick.

I have started a new thread.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors