Started on: 08-28-2015 01:32 PM
Replies: 11 (390 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 08-29-2015 10:38 AM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've installed some new speakers and radio for a friend who's 2nd owner of this car.
This car never had factory A/C and the original owner had an aftermarket kit installed.

I don't know what "brand" it is or anything about it.
Any ideas? I'm looking for wiring diagrams or install instructions.

EDIT: found a manufacturer's sticker
A-R-A Manufacturing, Grand Prairie, Texas
Unit# 0507974, Ser# 758061

They retained the original heater/fan controls.
The A/C kicks in when the top slider is set all the way to the left (vent) with a microswitch.

I've noticed that with Heater Fan Off - radiator fan comes on when engine reaches temp, as it should.
So temp switch on engine, radiator fan relay and radiator fan all work. That system is OK.

But it you turn the Heater Fan to any setting, the radiator fan shuts off.
That's the OPPOSITE of what you want. (factory A/C turns fan on whatever the engine temp)
I did find the kit's ground signal tapped into the radiator fan ground to do this (I think).

But I can't figure out why it would stop the radiator fan and I have no clue where to look.
I would just install a jumper around the problem, but need ideas on that too.

I'm hoping I don't have to pull the dash to reverse engineer the thing to figure it out.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-28-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn - now it's blowing the heater fan fuse!

I figured out that it only blows the fuse when the Fan is Off.
Works fine through the various speeds, go Off and fuse blows.

I think they've piggy-backed off the power line to the Fan switch for something.

NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about "Ground"

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fixed the blowing fuse problem. Traced a wire from fan switch to this thing on top of A/C unit.
The connector and wire looked a little cooked. May also be the reason the A/C doesn't work.

So heater fan works, doesn't blow fuse and radiator fan stays running at same time!

Now I have a high idle problem to sort out.
I didn't notice it doing that this morning when I test drove it.
Checked ALDL - no codes either.

NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a temp thermocouple for sensing cabin air temp. Should be connected to compressor circuit I would think.

[This message has been edited by NW-Fiero (edited 08-28-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Now I have a high idle problem to sort out.
I didn't notice it doing that this morning when I test drove it.
Checked ALDL - no codes either.

I decided to "start with the easy stuff first".

MAP is notorious for causing problems. I took it out, checked the vacuum tubes/elbows and they were OK.
Reinstalled the thing and disconnected the ECM to clear it and force it to relearn idle.

Started car and ran it for 10 minutes - still idled a little high - damn it.
Came in to post above information, and when I went out and restarted car - idle was now normal.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15155 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by NW-Fiero:

Looks like a temp thermocouple for sensing cabin air temp. Should be connected to compressor circuit I would think.

I'm glad I wasn't asked to fix the A/C system. Replacing that thermocouple might be a start.
The system had worked before, but a wiring diagram would sure help understand how it's supposed to work.

NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bottom of the unit might have a manufacture code or Name....it's a start..... where does the other end of the unit ... end?

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is relevant to my interests.

I've seen a similar setup before, in my heater core replacement thread.

They have a website:

http://aramanufacturing.com/
Domtech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a parts car with that same system. Not only did it make removing the front tub a huge pain, but I had to cut the A/C lines to remove the bracket holding up the coolant pipes.

It didn't have the same hvac controls that you show in your post, it had the more simple controls with just 2 sliders. A push-button and a switch had been added where the trunk popper and rear defogger switches would go.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

This is relevant to my interests.
I've seen a similar setup before, in my heater core replacement thread.

They have a website:
http://aramanufacturing.com/

I'd sent an email earlier today. We'll see what they say.

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2015 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RWDPLZ, thanks for that link. These two systems appear to be the same as the one I contacted you about the Sanden 580 compressor. It's installed on an 88 base Duke. Except the climate control has dual sliders with the top having AC at extreme left closely followed by Vent. There's a definite detent between the two. I haven't had the control out to see if there's an additional switch installed. In the middle is Heat and far right is the Defrost symbol. There is no Blend function. The bottom slider of course is for the temperature range.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock