Iron Duke Power Upgrades by FieroWillie
Started on: 08-09-2015 04:20 AM
Replies: 18 (873 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 08-31-2015 12:21 PM
FieroWillie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWillieSend a Private Message to FieroWillieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently bought an 88 with the 2.5L and a 5 Spd Trans and I've been wanting to keep the stock engine in there but I want to get about 200Hp out of it, is there any way to do that on the stock block?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope
That engine belongs in a sewing machine. If you want 200 HP, you will need to put a real motor in there, and likely swap transmissions too. Probably easier/cheaper to just buy an already swapped car, unless you have the skills and tools to do it yourself
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
/\ /\ /\ What he said. /\ /\ /\

Replacement is your best option.

And a tip - forget horsepower. Torque is King.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 duke is rated at 98 HP stock. You can put on a later model head (91-93 duke), a mild cam, and big block Chevy roller rockers (I did all that to mine), and get about 120 HP. You'll need a new engine to get 200 HP. If you want the engine to still resemble a duke at that power, look for a Super Duty 4.
FieroWillie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWillieSend a Private Message to FieroWillieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

The 88 duke is rated at 98 HP stock. You can put on a later model head (91-93 duke), a mild cam, and big block Chevy roller rockers (I did all that to mine), and get about 120 HP. You'll need a new engine to get 200 HP. If you want the engine to still resemble a duke at that power, look for a Super Duty 4.

What car would I be looking to pull that head off of for a later model head? and do you have any recommendations for a mild cam?
mountainman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mountainmanSend a Private Message to mountainmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I recall correctly, there is no roller cam upgrade for the duke. all the performance cams are flat tappet cams. Just seemed like a big step backwards to go back to a flat tappet. I used the cam from the 91 92 duke, it has about .020 more lift than the 88 cam.
I used full roller rockers from Harland Sharp that are spec'd for a chevy straight 6 cylinder engine. You will also need rocker arm studs from and LT1 engine. That's where you set the lash at. Pushrods that I used were from a 429 Ford. You also need the matching 91, 92 intake manifold.

the result is an engine that is very satisfying to drive, great power from 3 to 5k rpm. Will break the speed limit in all 50 states, and still get 33 mpg on the highway.

John M.
FieroWillie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWillieSend a Private Message to FieroWillieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mountainman:

If I recall correctly, there is no roller cam upgrade for the duke. all the performance cams are flat tappet cams. Just seemed like a big step backwards to go back to a flat tappet. I used the cam from the 91 92 duke, it has about .020 more lift than the 88 cam.
I used full roller rockers from Harland Sharp that are spec'd for a chevy straight 6 cylinder engine. You will also need rocker arm studs from and LT1 engine. That's where you set the lash at. Pushrods that I used were from a 429 Ford. You also need the matching 91, 92 intake manifold.

the result is an engine that is very satisfying to drive, great power from 3 to 5k rpm. Will break the speed limit in all 50 states, and still get 33 mpg on the highway.

John M.

would it be easlier to just swap in a Duke from a 91-93 car? or do I need to part out the 91-93 cam and intake manifold?
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWillie:

would it be easlier to just swap in a Duke from a 91-93 car? or do I need to part out the 91-93 cam and intake manifold?

Swapping in a 92 Duke isn't going to get you more than 5-10HP. You need to swap the cam, and port the heads to make more power.
Once you've done that, then you need to reprogram the computer.
Going to a V6 is going to be your best bet for more power. Then you can swap in the V6 computer and wireing harness.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mountainman:

If I recall correctly, there is no roller cam upgrade for the duke. all the performance cams are flat tappet cams.

John M.

Not true. Accelerated Motion has performance cams for roller cam dukes. That were I got mine.
And I think the Fiero Store has one too.

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2015 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bolt on a turbo and run it at ~15 PSI.

That should get you close to 200 HP, if it lasts long enough to make it.
mountainman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mountainmanSend a Private Message to mountainmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I searched high and low for a performance roller cam. While I've never heard of Accelerated Motion I wish I'd know about them. All the mainstream cam makers had were flat tappets. j
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is Accelerated Motion even still in business? Back when I was looking for a cam for my SD engine, I emailed them at least 4 different times over a period of a month, and never once got a reply. I figured they were out of business, or were doing so well they didn't need my business. I will say they had a lot of good information on their website though.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2015 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

Is Accelerated Motion even still in business? Back when I was looking for a cam for my SD engine, I emailed them at least 4 different times over a period of a month, and never once got a reply. I figured they were out of business, or were doing so well they didn't need my business. I will say they had a lot of good information on their website though.

FWIW, I've also had difficulty getting e-mail replies from other companies, which are definitely in business. Scat took forever to reply, but eventually did. I never got any reply from Isky. Never got an e-mail reply from Callies either, I had to call them.

Also, Isky seems to have a few roller cams for the duke, on pg 166 of their catalog.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

Did you try both cams@amotion.com and doug@amotion.com? I don't recall any trouble reaching them, but it's been a couple of years.
mountainman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mountainmanSend a Private Message to mountainmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isky does indeed have a roller cam for the duke but its a solid roller lifter with monster specs. The smallest has .660 lift. Sorry but that's gonna make for a very bad street motor. I'm sure you'd run into coil bind with stock springs.
If your building a killer race motor, yep I'd look at those cams. But there is no point in trying to make a street duke crank out that kind of hp. It would be more reliable to swap in a 3800.

J M
FieroWillie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2015 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWillieSend a Private Message to FieroWillieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know where I could source an SD4 without having KRP make one from scratch?
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does anyone know where I could source an SD4 without having KRP make one from scratch?

One of our Georgia Fiero Club members had one for sale recently, but I think it's sold now. But watch Ebay and this forum -- they pop up once in a while.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2015 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Contact Forum Member: Legutt. He has several.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2015 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DarcyJL https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/072559.html

Oops - looks like Legutt may have got it all...

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-31-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave