Ram HD clutch issues by cvxjet
Started on: 07-12-2015 01:02 AM
Replies: 5 (120 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 07-12-2015 05:33 PM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I installed the Ram HD Clutch- and it worked great for 2 years....Then the TO bearing took a dump- when I pulled it there were no balls in it! Sent it back to FS and they sent it to Ram- Ram sent a replacement.....Ok, so I installed it and couldn't get it to turn over- Checked the Starter, the Battery, the connections....Then I tried to turn it over via a wrench on the Balancer bolt- would not budge!

Finally got it apart, and the inner edge of the pressure plate had ground a grove in that flat circle just to the left of the TO bearing in the bell housing....Has anyone else had this issue.....The pressure plate was crushed against the trany....Do I possible have an odd flywheel? It worked perfectly with the previous Ram HD and the regular clutch I had in before....and how thick is that flat circle inside the bell-housing?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is this with an '84 duke?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No....This is an '85 SE V6; I've changed the engine/Trany to a 3.4/Getrag with the '88 cradle.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I've changed the engine/Trany to a 3.4/Getrag with the '88 cradle.

That's probably useful info to supply for a clutch question of this sort.
Eric_PA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eric_PASend a Private Message to Eric_PAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The RAM HD clutch (made for 4 speed) will hit the circular part in a getrag with a stock flywheel. I'm not sure why it didn't for you previously, unless the pressure plate was replaced with your new TO bearing. In the past I had one that cut into the round portion, but after that it was free and working. Not to say letting it cut a grrove is the solution as that could take out your bearings and damage the trans. I didn't realize there was a clearance issue until years later when i did a rebuild on mine, so I guess I was lucky.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh Crap! They sent me the right one(For a Getrag) before, but didn't ask which trany the second time....SOAB! Should I just shoot the car and put it out of my misery...?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock