My altinator gauge needle. Too high???? by kevin
Started on: 07-06-2015 08:52 AM
Replies: 5 (192 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 07-07-2015 10:38 PM
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
My 85 Duke charging gauge seems to run on the high side. The gauge points past the #13. The needle actually points to third white mark beyond the #13. (In the middle) My needle never gets into the red. Do I need a new altinator?
Cordially,
kevin
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably not.
Alternator will put out 13.8 - 14.7 volts.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check it with a voltage gauge, at the battery when running and the alternator, but as said above that is not an out of the ordinary reading on a dash gauge, they are not as accurate as they once were new or are now used in cars. But just to be safe make sure it is putting out like it should and that your gauge is right. Overcharging a battery can actually burn them up, if that is a problem.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-06-2015).]

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you SteveπŸ‘πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘Œ, I'll check your suggestions,,,,,have a nice day.
Cordially,
kevin
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:
Thank you SteveπŸ‘πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘Œ, I'll check your suggestions,,,,,have a nice day.
Cordially,
kevin

most parts store with do a free charging system check for you, at least NAPA, O'Reily's and even Chinamart will as well I think. If you want a quick way to be sure everything is working as it should. If you're car is drivable and registered.

Steve
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Volt gauge reading too high is seldom a real problem. Usually your gauge will read low for all the things that might have gone wrong, like a bad alternator, bad alternator belt, bad voltage regulator, a short somewhere in your electrical system. But to be making too much voltage? Rarely happens, more likely your volt gauge is inacurate.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock