Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  V6 Stopped Running, Won't Turn Over - Distributor Chip?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
V6 Stopped Running, Won't Turn Over - Distributor Chip? by Oolab1
Started on: 07-01-2015 09:26 AM
Replies: 17 (347 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-05-2015 01:28 PM
Oolab1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I was driving with my friend yesterday down through the national park, everything was running just fine (or at least as well as it normally does). We're cruising down a hill at more or less 50, and after the curve of the hill I shift from 3rd to 4th, and everything sounds just fine (my exhaust is open right now so its quite loud). A few seconds later I hit the gas to go up the hill and I realize that nothing is happening. I looked down to find the engine had just shut off (0 rpm), and I hadn't noticed yet because the car was still in 4th gear. After stopping at the bottom of the hill, I tried to turn it on. It cranks just fine, and the fuel pump is working, and all the electronics seem to work, it just doesn't turn over. He called his dad (the only PO), who came and took a look at it. We spent a while looking, and determined that it was an electrical problem. I'm not good at electric stuff so I'm not 100% sure what all they did, but the contact on the end of the wire that delivers power to the distributor was corroded on the far end (not the end that connects to the middle of the dist. cap, but the other end), but switching that around and cleaning it didn't help. We took the dist. cap off, and the distributor "looks pretty beat up but should be fine...". However, he said there was a control chip or something under there that might have gone bad? Could that be the problem? If not, any suggestions? Sorry for my lack of knowledge about the electrical system; I hope I gave enough information. I'll try to answer any questions as best I can until I get off work tonight.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's called the ICM, or Ignition Control Module. There is a lot of information about it on this site. If you need step-by-step instructions on how to replace it, just post a question.

Car Just Died

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-01-2015).]

Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK thanks! I didn't know what it was called so I couldn't find anything on it... XD
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oolab1:

It cranks just fine... it just doesn't turn over.

If it's cranking, then it's turning over. It's just not starting.
spad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spadClick Here to visit spad's HomePageSend a Private Message to spadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tachometer is your friend on ignition-related issues:
If tach is not working (does not react while trying to start), it's low-voltage issue.
If tach reacts, it's high-voltage issue (or fuel or mechanical).

Low-voltage means everything between ECM and ignition coil. High-voltage means everything between ignition coil and spark plugs.

When diagnosing this issue, suspect everything! Bad connectors, blown fuses, broken wires etc. At least, before buying stuff, make sure you have feeding voltages at ignition coil and ICM.

Use diagnostic chart from http://spad.dy.fi/fiero/man...6_Service_Manual.pdf page 683. You'll find ignition schematic from page 682.
If you feel chart too complicated to do, find some friend that has some electrical background.

Fiero ignition system is quite simple. By separating modules it makes diagnosis as easy as it can be.

I FAR I

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OP, check your fuel pump fuse because the engine will still crank even with a faulty fuel pump.

Originally posted by Patrick:

If it's cranking, then it's turning over. It's just not starting.

No sh*t, Sherlock......He already knows that.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
-Plato
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by I FAR I:

Yeah?

Originally posted by Oolab1:

It cranks just fine... it just doesn't turn over.

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cranking = turning over, turning over = cranking. An engine can turn over and not start and an engine can crank and not start. An engine can not crank and not turn over and an engine can not turn over and not crank. I hope this helps the many of you on the forum that misuse the two terms that mean the same thing.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:

Cranking = turning over, turning over = cranking. An engine can turn over and not start and an engine can crank and not start. An engine can not crank and not turn over and an engine can not turn over and not crank. I hope this helps the many of you on the forum that misuse the two terms that mean the same thing.

Careful John, or you might be accused of being a "fool" for trying to clarify the issue.
johnt671

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned above, the ignition control module probably died. That's a common problem with the Fiero V6. If you decide to replace the ICM yourself, I would strongly suggest using computer heatsink compound on it. And be careful to tighten the mounting screws evenly, so the ICM sits flat on the distributer. The distributer acts as a heatsink for the ICM, so it's critical to get those 2 things right.

And yeah, if the car is cranking it's turning over. Just FYI.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

johnt671

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OP, my reply had nothing to do with you as you seem to be new to Fieros and willing to learn and work on your car. Best of luck getting the car going. I don't have any experience on 2.8s but it sounds like what the others are saying, a bad ignition control module.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:

OP, my reply had nothing to do with you as you seem to be new to Fieros and willing to learn and work on your car.

Absolutely. The OP made a common error in terminology (especially for someone new to working on engines), but for some reason another member here felt it was improper of me to help clarify the issue... and he also felt it was necessary to be insulting in the process.

Originally posted by I FAR I:

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
-Plato

Rather uncalled for IMO.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-03-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

As mentioned above, the ignition control module probably died. That's a common problem with the Fiero V6. If you decide to replace the ICM yourself, I would strongly suggest using computer heatsink compound on it. And be careful to tighten the mounting screws evenly, so the ICM sits flat on the distributer. The distributer acts as a heatsink for the ICM, so it's critical to get those 2 things right.

X2 . Module is probably it. If you replace it use a the AC Delco module. Most of the other brands ( especially the Chinese modules) are inferior and will not last. Also make sure that your engine blower is working. That's the fan in the trunk corner that supplies cool air to keep the module and alternator from experiencing heat failure.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Also make sure that your engine blower is working. That's the fan in the trunk corner that supplies cool air to keep the module and alternator from experiencing heat failure.

Good advice, as long as the OP's Fiero isn't an '88.
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say not firing, over not starting.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

I would say not firing, over not starting.

We don't like to mention anything to do with "fire" when discussing Fieros.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock