WHAT IF? by RPYRAZOO
Started on: 06-20-2015 02:54 PM
Replies: 17 (349 views)
Last post by: cebix on 06-21-2015 05:31 PM
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What would be the result if one would use $10.00/gal. "racing fuel" available at the local drag strip in a stock 2.8.....just wonderin' ?
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends what "racing fuel" refers to. There are many kinds.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it has no ethanol in it, that might be worth a few HP.
The higher octane will likely be inconsequential, since the stock 2.8 is designed to run just fine on the cheapest stuff you can throw at it.
You might be able to bump up your timing a few degrees. May be worthwhile. Maybe not.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-20-2015).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your wallet will have less money
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You want to run the lowest octane you can. If the racing fuel is specifically for very high compression engines then the octane could well be way too high for you to run with. Also, the racing fuel may have lead in it. I'd avoid using it, since it could damage to your catalytic converter.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 06-20-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RPYRAZOO:

What would be the result if one would use $10.00/gal. "racing fuel" available at the local drag strip in a stock 2.8.....just wonderin' ?

IF you didn't change anything at all on the engine - nothing....

At the very least, it would allow you to bump up the timing without pinging/knocking.
But you'd have to bring it back down when you put the lower octane back in.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-20-2015).]

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out of curiosity, of I'm using premium right now can I switch to regular? I've been running on premium because that's what the previous seller sold me and I've been told that switching the fuel you use can cause a knock, is that true? Sorry for hijacking the thread I just though it was related enough to avoid making a new thread!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Run any more octane then engine is design for just wast money.
All OE Fiero gets 87 octane in the US. Other Countries can use different methods to calc posted octane on the pump.
Fiero Engines won't run well on 87 then very likely engine got something wrong. Too much base timing for Dist engines are good for this problem.

Running on "race gas" or "aviation gas" does little or nothing or can damage engines setup to run on normal pump gas.
Yes, race fuels can contain alcohol(s) etc and could be very bad for a normal engine. You need to know what fuel before you fill the tank of a street car.

See my Cave, Fuel & Knock

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, the oil companies have marketed the different grades of gasoline in a clever way to convince people that they should pay more money "for better gas". They have many people convinced that the higher grades have key properties to make the engine run better. Of course this a load of crap. Always use the lowest grade that doesn't cause detonation (pinging).

On a side note, in Europe in the 1970's, Esso (Exxon in the US), Shell and several other companies, made an agreement to stop selling three different grades and drop down to two. It costs a lot of money to have to produce, stock and distribute the extra grade. Shell ended up backing out of the deal, and so all other companies had to follow suit and maintain their three grades. As a result, we all have to pay a little extra at the pumps. Thanks Shell.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2015 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:

Out of curiosity, of I'm using premium right now can I switch to regular? I've been running on premium because that's what the previous seller sold me and I've been told that switching the fuel you use can cause a knock, is that true? Sorry for hijacking the thread I just though it was related enough to avoid making a new thread!

If you have a totally stock Fiero, you should be running 87 octane.

If you have a car where the engine has been modified or swapped out, it may be necessary to run premium.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2015 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by RPYRAZOO:

Thanks

Then you will be wasting money and wasting fuel, since the low compression and efficiency of the stock 2.8 will mean you don't burn the fuel completely. Additional unburned fuel in the exhaust will cause the catalytic converter to fail more quickly, and you will likely have increased carbon build-up on the O2 sensor, and in the EGR system.
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first got my license and had my 67 firebird 400 on Friday and Saturday nights we would go racing, bunch of the motor heads at my school. Back then, in the 70s BC some of us would stop by the local station that had a racing team who went to the races every weekend. So on Friday afternoon myself and a couple others who knew they had the racing fuel on hand inside the station for themselves would go in and buy some for our own street vehicles, but we would have to advance timing But the cars we were driving were 60s cars and high compression. Never actually went to the drag strip with them for time trials to see if it even made any difference or not but seat of the pants it felt a little faster, but remember this was back in the early 70s so my memory may be off.

As far as our now low compression engines of the Fiero's and just about every other car made since the 80s I don't think it would be worth it, unless like us back then you are betting on the outcome of the race.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So if I live where (by European measures) standard fuel is 95 octanes how much can I advance the timing?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2015 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cebix:

So if I live where (by European measures) standard fuel is 95 octanes how much can I advance the timing?

Standard fuel ratings in the EU are different from the USA. EU fuel ratings are by RON and US ratings are Anti-Knock Index ((RON + MON) / 2). Your 95 is the same as 90-91 in the US. This is still more than what the stock Fiero engines need though. A bit of advance will probably help.

You can advance the timing until knock, and then turn back a few degrees from there. Probably will be around 6 degrees advance or so, as a good spot, from the factory ignition timing.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 06-21-2015).]

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

If you have a totally stock Fiero, you should be running 87 octane.

If you have a car where the engine has been modified or swapped out, it may be necessary to run premium.

So it's alright for me to start using regular and I won't see any problems? It is the stock V6
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2015 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:
So it's alright for me to start using regular and I won't see any problems? It is the stock V6

If you've got the stock ignition timing, yes. If the timing has been advanced previously, you'll need to also bring the timing back to stock specifications.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks a bunch! Been wasting money on premium too long!
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Standard fuel ratings in the EU are different from the USA. EU fuel ratings are by RON and US ratings are Anti-Knock Index ((RON + MON) / 2). Your 95 is the same as 90-91 in the US. This is still more than what the stock Fiero engines need though. A bit of advance will probably help.

You can advance the timing until knock, and then turn back a few degrees from there. Probably will be around 6 degrees advance or so, as a good spot, from the factory ignition timing.

Thanks! I was thinking like maybe 2 to 3 degrees but I'll try to push it more.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock