2.8 No spark on #2 and #4 by Ramon
Started on: 05-21-2015 04:22 AM
Replies: 6 (229 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-23-2015 10:42 AM
Ramon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RamonSend a Private Message to RamonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi fellas, This morning I fired up the car She sounded like a cylinder was not firing. I let her warm up and shut her off. Ten min later I started her back up and she ran smooth with no issues. I drove her for about 200 miles came home parked her and about five hours later started her back up and she was missing out like crazy. I went ahead and replaced the plugs and wires I still have the same issue.... As I was letting the car idle I could smell unburned gas coming from the exhaust. So I shut it off and checked each plug and found that they all were firing except #2 and #4, they were both wet with gas. I have the old style distributer with the fingers. I checked each of them and they look straight. I'm going to do the basic tests in the morning on the coil, pickup coil and module. However I'm curious to know if there is a specific problem that would cause only two cylinders not to fire? Searching the site has come up with no answer to this question.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure #6 is OK? It would make more sense if one bank was not functioning, but just 2 cylinders...? It has to be either distributor cap, wires, or plugs. A leaky injector may kill the spark, How's your fuel pressure?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-21-2015).]

Ramon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamonSend a Private Message to RamonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have done all the tests on the coil and pickup coil all with in spec. I have tested the pigtail wires and they check good. I do have spark at all six plugs and all plug wires check ok. No trouble codes at all. I have not tested the module or fuel pressure. I still get unburned fuel smell out the exhaust. It runs like the timing is off or miss matched wires. however I know the timing is spot on and the firing order is correct. The timing chain looked great when I had the engine out.... pulling my hair. only thing I can think of is a fuel problem. like I said before #2 and #4 had fuel soaked plugs but they do get spark HMMM I'm thinking of pulling the upper and checking for leaking injectors. ill have a video of how she is running in a few.
Ramon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamonSend a Private Message to RamonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ramon

63 posts
Member since Mar 2015
Video

Hope this helps.
Ramon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamonSend a Private Message to RamonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ramon

63 posts
Member since Mar 2015
I believe I have a lower intake gasket failure It looks to be gas and coolant mix in the upper and lower plenum. The oil is clean as a whistle. earlier I did notice some moisture coming from the tail pipe.

the dark stuff is carbon the milky stuff smells like gas
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure its no spark or no gas at those injector?

I forget how to test them but that sounds more like your problem to me.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ramon:
I believe I have a lower intake gasket failure It looks to be gas and coolant mix in the upper and lower plenum. The oil is clean as a whistle. earlier I did notice some moisture coming from the tail pipe.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

the dark stuff is carbon the milky stuff smells like gas
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
Bad gasket(s) and/or crack Al can cause this.
Coolant gets pressure and engine pulls vacuum and Iffy gasket etc often lets coolant to intake.
If work was done to intake then very likely have wrong torque for bolts.
Just the Wrong torquing can cause problems. Most times, torque values are for clean dry threads.

If engine/heads was rebuilt then can change dimensions between heads etc. W/o checking that can cause cracking intakes.
Sensors etc in intake can cause stress cracks too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock