Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is this a possible 2.8 EGR tube alternative?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is this a possible 2.8 EGR tube alternative? by Patrick
Started on: 05-14-2015 04:42 AM
Replies: 8 (1863 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 05-17-2015 12:44 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm poking around the top end of my Formula's 2.8 as discussed HERE, and among other things I've discovered that my EGR tube was completely plugged with "tar" where it connected to the underside of the upper plenum. Although this angle doesn't show it very well, the tar ball was protruding out of the plenum at least a quarter inch into the EGR tube.

As you can see, the EGR tube is also cracked, and I need a replacement. Rodney sells new replacements and I may yet go that route. However, what's at the wreckers? We all know that the EGR tubes from 2.8 Camaros and Firebirds work well (they're actually tougher than the relatively fragile OE Fiero EGR tubes), but what about something like the following? I saw this EGR tube on eBay which is listed as being for a 2000 Cadillac Deville. Anyone seen one of these in person? Would it work with a 2.8 Fiero, specificlally an '88 which takes a slightly longer tube than the earlier years? Or does this one look too long?

I'm just interested to see if we can find replacement EGR tubes from other sources. The more choices the better.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-14-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scott2scott

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If u want to stick with stock i have a stock egr and tubes off my 86 Just sitting in my garage you can have it just shoot me coulpe bucks for shipping . Im here in florida so no rust or anything . Just let me know. -scott-
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The F-body tube will work and will not crack like the Fiero tube. All you need to do is slot the mounting holes a bit to make it fit. I did this on my 2.8 many moons ago.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott2scott:

If u want to stick with stock i have a stock egr and tubes off my 86 Just sitting in my garage you can have it just shoot me coulpe bucks for shipping.

Scott, that's very generous of you. Thanks, but no. The problem is that the EGR tube for the '88 2.8 is about an inch longer that the tube used for the '85-'87 engines. I've heard of people "stretching" them to make them fit, but they're so damn fragile that I don't want to risk it.

Originally posted by tesmith66:

The F-body tube will work and will not crack like the Fiero tube. All you need to do is slot the mounting holes a bit to make it fit. I did this on my 2.8 many moons ago.

Yeah, I mentioned that option earlier. Unfortunately the wrecker I usually go to doesn't have any of these cars in the yard.

Originally posted by Patrick:

We all know that the EGR tubes from 2.8 Camaros and Firebirds work well (they're actually tougher than the relatively fragile OE Fiero EGR tubes)...

Still hoping someone might have first hand knowledge of the EGR tube I pictured above from a 2000 Cadillac Deville, and whether it might be suitable.
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked for a replacement for a long time. No other car will fit to my knowledge. I would say delete it if you don't have to worry about emissions.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

I looked for a replacement for a long time. No other car will fit to my knowledge.

We already know that 2.8 equipped Camaros/Firebirds have an EGR tube that fits (with a very minor modification) and it's also much less fragile than the OE one on the Fiero. There still might be other tubes out there that'll work as well.

Originally posted by fieromatty:

I would say delete it if you don't have to worry about emissions.

No way. I tried that with an '86 GT years ago when its EGR tube cracked. Even with a custom burned EGR-delete PROM, all it accomplished was sucking up more gas.

A properly functioning EGR system does nothing to impair performance or mileage. In my experience it also allows the base timing to be further advanced (than an EGR-deleted system) without "pinging" occurring.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-14-2015).]

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

one of the problems with wreckers, boneyards is that they only keep cars so long, then they just send them to the crusher, that is also one of the reasons there are so few in the yards. Years ago before the idiotnet I used to call a local dealer for parts and they would check other dealers in other places that might have a part I was looking for, tucked away in a dark corner of the parts dept. Not sure how they do that now, by computer or if they even will do it at all anymore. Now like I said that was before the idiotnet so things change.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get Rodney's 88 tube, or TFS.

The Fiero Store has a tube that doesn't require the special gasket under the plenum.
Its intergraded in the tube, and that end is specifically for the under the plenum side.
The gaskets are included.

I have one of these on my 88GT since 2009.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

The Fiero Store has a tube that doesn't require the special gasket under the plenum.
Its intergraded in the tube, and that end is specifically for the under the plenum side.
The gaskets are included.

For $100 (US) plus shipping?? Oh man, I'm too cheap for that.

I've tracked down a nice heavy-duty 2.8 Camaro EGR tube locally for $20 (CDN). That's what will be going on my Formula.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-24-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock