Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Any "wipe on, clear again" stuff work for GT side plastic?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any "wipe on, clear again" stuff work for GT side plastic? by John W. Tilford
Started on: 05-04-2015 08:40 PM
Replies: 7 (284 views)
Last post by: tom10122 on 05-06-2015 07:36 PM
John W. Tilford

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any "wipe on, magically clear again" stuff work for GT side plastic? Replaced mine about nine years ago (not cheap), and they are looking foggy. Car is parked inside garage 99% of the time. Must have scratched surface with poor choice of washing rags.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi John,

I don't have an answer for you. I'm not totally sure what plastic you are referring to. If it's the aero stuff - it's painted. Might be time to re do the clear coat. Have you had any time to work on the new tank? Mine is the most trouble free thing on the car right now! LOL

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing you mean the Fastback quarter windows. There are some polishing compounds used for plastics, but in general, products with petroleum ingredients will eventually destroy the window. Use of some of the car wash soaps can also result in damage in the long term.

I've often wondered if it would be possible to apply window tint of your desired shade, over the outside of the quarter window The mylar tint film is very resistant to scratches and would help to mask the scratches and hairline cracks that eventually develop in the windows.
John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quarter "windows", check. Good idea. Yes, I've used the coin-operated wash soapy brush. But I'll deny it from this point forward! I was hoping the stuff you see advertised on late night TV for clearing headlight plastic might work, but didn't want to take any chances.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Foggy usually means the issue is throughout the thickness of the plastic. But in the event it's just on the surface, try 3M's headlight restoration kit that comes with a drill attachment with a soft orange backing and various fine grit sandpapers/buffers and rubbing compound. I would tread lightly and follow the directions sort of backwards, using the polishing pads first and skipping the heavy stuff. I used this kit to polish out scratches and hazing on my '85 trans am tail lights with incredible results. I skipped directly to wet sanding with the finest possible pad since the kit is intended to restore badly weathered headlights (which see more direct abrasive abuse from dust, stones, chemicals, etc.) The trouble may be what to polish with for the longest lasting results. Walmart has the kit for about $20 and you'll get lots of usage from it if needed.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Admittedly I dont have a fasdtback, but I would start with something gentle like this by hand and see if it has any effect.

I would also think the headlight restore kits would work too if it is on the surface.

Have pics?
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought some of that Wipe New to try on our trucks headlights - seems to get good reviews on the net so thought what the hell. Haven't tried it yet as the weather hasn't been so good around me lately (for F*()& sakes it is snowing here today)...

When I get around to doing the headlights, I still have a broken 1/4 window I can try it on. Not sure I would try it on a good set as the plastic is different between the headlights and the 1/4 windows and it may damage them. But I will post back my results.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 05-06-2015).]

tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried some of the turtlewax headlight restorer on a small part of my quarter window. Not wipe on wipe off, you have to buff it with several different applicators . It didn't help nor hurt much.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock