Idle problem FIXED!!! But... by Rich Truett
Started on: 05-02-2015 05:46 PM
Replies: 9 (390 views)
Last post by: coltonandrew on 05-03-2015 05:24 PM
Rich Truett

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, that annoying idling problem on my '88 Formula is fixed -- for now.
It was a bad ICM -- even though I replaced it.

When the car got hot, the idle would start to wander and then the engine would die.

I replaced the iCM today and that fixed the stalling.

But now I have a 22 code (low TPS sensor voltage) and there is a slight hesitation on tip-in.

I messed with the idle screw in my attempts to correct the stalling issue. But I have reset it to minimum air.

The TPS is also new.

The car seems to be running fine except for the SES light triggered by the TPS voltage situation.

Question: What causes a low voltage at the TPS? The MAP is new and working properly.

Thanks,
Rich Truett
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No +5 on the Gray wire at the TPS.

Not having a good wire between Pin B (Dk. Blue) of the TPS and the ECM
Rich Truett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I will check those connections...
Rich Truett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rich Truett

71 posts
Member since Mar 2015
So, I would check the voltage with the ignition on and with the...

The plug removed from the TPS
Or attached to the TPS

Thanks,
Rich
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a bad "new" TPS last year.
Rich Truett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a BWD (Borg-Warner) ICM today and the car wouldn't even start.
I went back and got the less expensive one and it runs fine. But who knows how long it will last.

The parts quality we are getting these days is junk. NOS is best.

I guess.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bad tps I got was also a bwd
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rich Truett:

I bought a BWD (Borg-Warner) ICM today and the car wouldn't even start.
I went back and got the less expensive one and it runs fine. But who knows how long it will last.

The parts quality we are getting these days is junk. NOS is best.

I guess.

Just a FYI.....BWD is a brand of Standard Motor Products. It has no connection to Borg Warner. And YES....a lot of ICMs are junk before you put them on a car. The real difficulty with a bad ICM is that it fails in many different ways, so it is hard to trouble-shoot. Delcos seem to be marginally better, but most of us ride around with an extra one in the trunk.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rich, I've been following your idle fix thread and other issues regarding your 88 Formula.

Again, I will say this...if you want piece of mind, replace your parts with only AC Delco.

Yes, if NOS is available buy it. You are correct on that one

Buying parts at low cost will haunt you. You pay nothing, you get nothing.
There should be no reason even for aftermarket should fail out of the box. But it will most
likely fail later. Today people have to learn that buying Chinese autoparts is a no-no.
I try seriously not to support the companies that have parts made in china. I support north
America where our native cars are built from.

Please update us on your findings.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Rich, I've been following your idle fix thread and other issues regarding your 88 Formula.

Again, I will say this...if you want piece of mind, replace your parts with only AC Delco.

Yes, if NOS is available buy it. You are correct on that one

Buying parts at low cost will haunt you. You pay nothing, you get nothing.
There should be no reason even for aftermarket should fail out of the box. But it will most
likely fail later. Today people have to learn that buying Chinese autoparts is a no-no.
I try seriously not to support the companies that have parts made in china. I support north
America where our native cars are built from.

Please update us on your findings.

Everything Ive replaced thus far in my restore has been with bosche, ac delco and k&n. I definitely recommend those brands

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock