Jerky when AC is on by ninjayogi
Started on: 05-01-2015 02:43 PM
Replies: 5 (196 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 05-02-2015 08:39 PM
ninjayogi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When my fiero is running with no AC it runs fine, once AC is on the car becomes jerky. I have a stock 2.8 It has a new distributor, cap and point as well as new spark plugs, wires and injectors. TIA
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ninjayogi:

...once AC is on the car becomes jerky.

That's a pretty crummy description.

Does the idle speed go up and down while the car is sitting still with the A/C on? If so, is that in tandem with the A/C cycling on and off rather quickly? The A/C might just be low on refrigerant.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DA6 or V5 compressor Da6/HR6 based a/c systems used a cycling system that causes the a/c to switch on and off as the pressure rises and falls, V5 based systems do not and much smoother in operation. Is there a switch on the accumulator up front? If so it is DA6/HR6 cycling system, if not then v5. With a cycling system you often (especially on a Fiero) feel the additional drag as the compressor engages. Is it 'jerky'? I don't think so but it depends on how you define jerky really. If it's just a feeling of additional resistance then that is normal.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

ninjayogi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It appears that the Freon level was low, I added more and it got much better. I would have never thought that it being low could cause negative performance issues. Thanks for all your help.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ninjayogi:

It appears that the Freon level was low, I added more and it got much better. I would have never thought that it being low could cause negative performance issues.

Do I get a ribbon or a medal of some sort?

Originally posted by Patrick:

The A/C might just be low on refrigerant.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock