sunroof panel damage repair or replace? by Spalding1028
Started on: 04-25-2015 09:32 PM
Replies: 10 (620 views)
Last post by: Spalding1028 on 05-01-2015 10:47 AM
Spalding1028

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spalding1028Send a Private Message to Spalding1028Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might be going to pick up an 87 gt depending on what my cost as far as taking care of some damage around the sunroof/door/windshield on the roof would be. Below are two pictures I got from the owner (have not seen the car in person yet)

Would I be better off trying to repair it or replacing it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It can be repaired, but either way it's going to be a big job. You need to remove the sunroof, get all the clear coat off, and sand the color coat. That damage is caused by water getting into the SMC plastic, so you have to make sure everything is very dry.......fill the low spots with the proper filler, and prime and re-paint so there are no nicks or cuts where water can get back in. You have similar damage at the windshield too....so you need to remove the molding and cover that area carefully. It looks like this car has seen a lot of weather.
Spalding1028

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spalding1028Send a Private Message to Spalding1028Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's in central Mich... >.< which would explain the weather it's seen. I'm considering taking it to a shop to get it quoted out if I have it repaired

Originally posted by Gall757:

It can be repaired, but either way it's going to be a big job. You need to remove the sunroof, get all the clear coat off, and sand the color coat. That damage is caused by water getting into the SMC plastic, so you have to make sure everything is very dry.......fill the low spots with the proper filler, and prime and re-paint so there are no nicks or cuts where water can get back in. You have similar damage at the windshield too....so you need to remove the molding and cover that area carefully. It looks like this car has seen a lot of weather.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
watch out for rust. Search threads here on PFF to find out how.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spalding1028:

It's in central Mich... >.< which would explain the weather it's seen. I'm considering taking it to a shop to get it quoted out if I have it repaired

Get the quote but make sure you are sitting and have a paper bag handy when they give it to you, painting a car especially these cars is a lot of labor and prepare to pay for that labor and the cost of that paint, red ain't cheap.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Spalding1028

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spalding1028Send a Private Message to Spalding1028Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of getting it sprayed blue. I know to watch the trunk, battery tray, and subframe. It'll be replacing my 87gt
Spalding1028

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spalding1028Send a Private Message to Spalding1028Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spalding1028

104 posts
Member since Feb 2014
I'm curious if it would be cheaper/less of a hassle to replace the roof panel... Or if someone near Toledo has experience, I have the garage to work on it, some cash, and a case of beer :P

[This message has been edited by Spalding1028 (edited 04-25-2015).]

ILVMYGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2015 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might consider removing the sunroof and gasket to look at the structure below it as a starting point.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

Spalding1028

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spalding1028Send a Private Message to Spalding1028Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I went and actually looked at the car (and bought it... couldn't argue with the price). I snapped a couple better quality shots of the roof and I'll post em below. There's not much "gouging" but the SMC is starting to flake off. Should I try to save it? or is that considered an extensive amount of repairs and I'd be better off hunting down a new panel?
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
a bit of A pillar damage
futher down the A pillar

[This message has been edited by Spalding1028 (edited 05-01-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would replace it if I could. Do you have a good panel available? If you decide to repair this one, you will be very good at SMC body repair by the time you are finished....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-01-2015).]

Spalding1028

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spalding1028Send a Private Message to Spalding1028Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still waiting to hear back from someone with a parts car. Hopefully I'll find someone by the time I get that car down here and 3800sc swapped
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock