Anyone using these Lambo hinges? by Lou and Blue
Started on: 04-14-2015 10:43 PM
Replies: 7 (427 views)
Last post by: Arns85GT on 04-15-2015 09:38 PM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to find 90 degree Lambo hinges for my 85 GT. everything I see is in the '$700 and up category, which is just way too much for me. I see on this site they have a 60degree bolt on for $200 and a 90 degree weld on for $310. Is this 'too good to be true'? Problem for me is I will need the 90 degree and I can't weld.
This is the site I found with the least expensive kits.

http://www.doorconversion.c...egory_id=2&Itemid=27
Any info is very helpful!
Thanks
Louis

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of the universal kits bolt or weld on. There is a major offset on the Fiero door frame so the kit has to be designed specifically for the Fiero. Danyel on the forum can elaborate a little more.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And those kits are $600 and up right?

So there aren't ANY vertical door kits that will work on the fiero except the $600 and up ones?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Danyel is best to answer your questions. This photo is from one of his threads:

Notice the offset from the top bolts to the bottom bolts. Most universal kits are straight up and down with the mounting plate where with the Fiero, the lower hinge plate has to be offset inwards. I have seen one person use a kit for a Honda Civic. He had to cut and weld a new mounting plate as well as use 2 thick pieces of steel plate to space the lower hinge mounting point. If you have access to a welder it may be fairly straightforward.

Also if you notice in his picture, Archies kit was a 2 piece kit. There was no steel "C" plate that spanned the entire length of the frame. The top Lambo hinge bolts only to the top factory hinge location, and only a bracket for the dual shocks mounts on the bottom hinge location. This is similar to what Archie did:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-15-2015).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMSA GT is 80% right the part he got wrong is that Archie's hinges are NOT 2 pieces but only 1 piece (as in the pics below) .... there are NO bolt on hinges presently on the market so be ready to do EXTENSIVE work .... two piece hinges are not as easy to install and do need ALOT of added support for the doors and spaceframe ....

I will explain more in the next post ...... as I am on the train headin home right now...

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 04-15-2015).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Here is a video Archie has done that really describes the issues you will face by using the 2 piece vertical door kits ....I agree 100% with this video. I added a C shaped piece of metal and alot more hinge supports to the frame and doors to diminish the side effects of the hinges...... If you have any questions I will be ONLINE in 1 hour from now just PM me
regards
Danyel

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I won't be getting Lambo doors.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't be disappointed. I had lambo doors on a convertible. When the doors were a couple of years old the pistons started to lose their power and the driver door would not stay up.

In short, they look cool but, they are a maintenance problem. What I did like though, were the suicide doors on Archie's stinger. They were very cool.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock