E brake replacement. by zzzhuh
Started on: 04-06-2015 09:48 PM
Replies: 0 (459 views)
Last post by: zzzhuh on 04-06-2015 09:48 PM
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After getting so much great information from the forums, I figured I would attempt at covering a simple replacement that many of you have probably already done.

A little background:

My 86 GT kept having sticky brakes so I replaced both rear calipers. After installing them and thinking I had finally fixed my problem, my E brake wouldn't disengaged. After trying to release it the thing started bending and ended up keeping my brakes stuck. After smoking my tires up a hill I managed to get home and got the brakes released. I then came on the forums and GrabberGreen was kind enough to sell me his E brake for a very good price (thanks mate!)

A little surface rust so I cleaned it all up and threw some grease on it so it would engage/disengage with ease.

Alright, now into the install.

First thing you want to do is take the seat out. Not a hard task but sometimes the spring will come loose, and you have to slide it back into place.

Next you have three bolts to remove, two are one size and a small one holds the E brake sensor that comes on the dash to let you know the E brake is on.

Here is the sensor screw.

Take note that the Sensor Screw DOES go into the body.

You can see why my E brake wasn't working...

Next is this metal tab that you have to push in with a small tool to make it pass the E brake.

Once that tab goes through bring the whole thing out and your ready to install the new one!

This doesn't have any good use anymore.

After that reverse the same procedure, I went ahead and lubed up the cable a bit just to make it slide a bit easier:

BTW, make sure you loosen up the adjuster cable, it makes it easier to remove the old E brake. Be sure you tighten it back up and adjust it.

sardonyx247 has a great write up that works great and is very well written.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134054.html

Thanks everyone for the overly helpful information you all have provided on the forums throughout the years. I hope this write up helped at least one person
------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 04-06-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)
next newest topic | next oldest topic

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock