V6 cam seal by donuteater306
Started on: 04-05-2015 07:24 PM
Replies: 4 (504 views)
Last post by: donuteater306 on 04-12-2015 11:36 AM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the best way to seal that little camshaft cover on the back of the 2.8?

In 2008, while replacing the clutch, I replaced the rear main, and cam cover seals. I added a light smear of RTV to both sides of the cover gasket.

In 2012 (with the help of someone who thought that 3rd gear was 1st) I had to replace the clutch again. At that time, the cam cover was seeping. I cleaned the area really well, bought a new gasket from GM, installed it with no RTV ths time. Now it's leaking again. What do you guys suggest, RTV and no gasket?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use this stuff on paper gaskets

Also make sure the cover is flat. It can distort over time or if it's over tightened.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2015 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did mine also a couple weeks ago.. Haven't run the engine yet though. Victor reinz gasket is a cork that i used and then I added an 8th in bead of rtv to both sides. I then assembled the cover onto the block but only lightly snugged.. Once the RTV (high heat) dried over the course of an hour or two, I then torqued it to spec. We'll see how well it does.. The time before (the engine builder used a sealant but was the consistancy of thread locker.. It leaked all over the place.. Didn't know what they were thinking at the time.
bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cleaned and resealed my entire engine. Over the past 15 Yeats as a professional tech. The only sealant I use is called the Right Stuff. The stuff seals like none other. Just make sure and wear so.e latex gloves. Its about impossible to get off your hands...lol..hope this helps!!!
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tips. It's going to be a few weeks before we can pull the trans to fix this. Hopefully my new clutch isn't oil soaked.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock