Stiff clutch by Yannsky
Started on: 04-05-2015 11:04 AM
Replies: 9 (210 views)
Last post by: TopNotch on 04-07-2015 09:31 PM
Yannsky

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YannskySend a Private Message to YannskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all

I have a 87 5 speeds 2.8 head with a 3.1 block with a centrrforce 8 pucks disc. Speed change are ok but the peddle is stiff like a 10 wheels truck clutch when i push it down.

Yesterday i drove another fiero and wow the peddle is so gentle to push, this is what i'm expecting from my hydrolic.

What should i do to have a smooth one and get my ride in trafic easier?

The slave don't look old but probably not the first quality. What can cause oil restriction and put pressure on the peddle?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heavy pedal effort and "grabby" clutch are related to the design of the clutch itself.
"Puck" type clutch plates seem to be the ones with a tendency to be "grabby".

I had a "high performance" Spec Stage 2 clutch that was heavy on the pressure. The clutch release bearing collapsed.

I replaced it with a performance Stage 3 unit from Bully Clutch (Canadian made) and it's awesome.
Heavy clamping, but with LIGHT effort at the pedal and very smooth when engaging/disengaging the clutch.

TWO other members in Calgary were amazed at how well the clutch worked in my car.
They changed their clutch to the same Bully Clutch I am using and are VERY HAPPY they did.
A 3rd member is doing transmission work right now and is considering getting the same Bully clutch as well.

Part number, pictures and website here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129057.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-05-2015).]

Yannsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YannskySend a Private Message to YannskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent
Yannsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YannskySend a Private Message to YannskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yannsky

245 posts
Member since Nov 2014
I looked at their site but no price

Do you have an idea range of price ?
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also check the needle bearings and seal for the fork in the trans that they move freely within the bell housing. Had an 87 gt with a not so smooth clutch, went to replace it and found the fork being bound up, it shifted and moved but was a lot of work on your left foot. Replaced the bearings and seal, and can drive it barefoot cause its smooth as butter. Almost felt like a bad cable clutch from back in the days now you can tell its hydraulic.
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lordbg0205

236 posts
Member since Nov 2011
Also check the needle bearings and seal for the fork in the trans that they move freely within the bell housing. Had an 87 gt with a not so smooth clutch, went to replace it and found the fork being bound up, it shifted and moved but was a lot of work on your left foot. Replaced the bearings and seal, and can drive it barefoot cause its smooth as butter. Almost felt like a bad cable clutch from back in the days now you can tell its hydraulic.
Yannsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YannskySend a Private Message to YannskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do i have to change pressur plate only or i have to change both plate?

Do i need a special tool to remove the needle bearing to clean it?
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you change the pressure plate for one with less pressure, you will no longer have a performance clutch, regardless of what kind of disk you have. A performance clutch is one that can handle more torque than a stock clutch, and therefore must have more pressure on the disk when it is engaged (pedal released).
Did you get the car with the clutch already in it? Do you know if it has the proper slave? If you use an Isuzu-type slave with a Getrag setup, you will have greater pedal pressure, because of the slave's smaller piston.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 04-07-2015).]

Yannsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YannskySend a Private Message to YannskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the car came with this clutch. I have no idea what type of slave the only rhing i knew it is not old.

How i can see what type it is ? Is there a special sign to differencing them ?
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Yannsky:
How i can see what type it is ? Is there a special sign to differencing them ?

You can go to Rodney Dickman's site and look at pictures of the slaves he sells, and see which one your slave looks like.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock