To 282 or not to 282 by Adjustso3
Started on: 04-05-2015 09:41 AM
Replies: 5 (223 views)
Last post by: Adjustso3 on 04-07-2015 10:04 AM
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guy. This summer I'm going to be starting my 2001 3800SC from a Buick Regal into my 87 GT with the 5 speed Getrag. The original 2.8 runs awesome and was told the clutch was replaced. So far I have my harness being shipped to me soon, have the motor mount similar to Fierorogs design and am going to use poly engine and tranny mounts. I also have the SS fuel lines that are not converted yet to fit the Fiero. I planned on going with the lower alt mount, turned down flywheel, and dogbone kit from Fierorog. I also want to keep A/C so I still need the adapter lines. I've been reading like crazy about this build and am now a little worried about the Getrag. I'm 46 with a bad back so I can't drive it too crazy but I'm sure I'll try to act like I was 20 here and there and maybe take it to the track once in a while just to have fun. I'll probably keep the 3800SC somewhat stock besides when replacing the LIM putting new lifters and the rocker kit from ZZP. When the car has some miles on it and the bugs worked out I'd like to drop down to a 3.4 pully and maybe do the Northstar throttle body swap. I'd love to dump the clutch here and there and break the tires loose to light them up. Before I spend the money in a machined flywheel, a spec 3+ clutch and some new linkage lines just to freshen everything up, should I continue my plan or change to a different manual transmission or even go to an automatic ? I love a manual transmission but want ease of installation along with reliability. As you can see by my age I'm old school and this new age engineering and electronics is all new to me. I'd love to hear all opinions. Thanks for every bodies time on their input.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you plan to drag the car it is commonly held that the automatic transmission will save you a bit of time. With the manual Getrag 282 I have successfully paired it with 3800 SC Series II and III, a turbo push rod 3.4, and a 383. I must admit that I do not do clutch dumps and do not drag any of my vehicles. With a lot of high rpm clutch dumps and a decent torque motor, something is likely to give. I have more than 20000 miles on a 3800 SC Series III engine and somewhat less (10000) on the other vehicles without a broken clutch, transmission, axle, etc. The only blown clutches have been with the 2.8 L V6 and I was driving about 40 mph when it let loose. My teenage son took the other one out but I feel that he was likely hotdogging it with a girl present.

Nelson
stickpony

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Adjustso3:

Hey guy. This summer I'm going to be starting my 2001 3800SC from a Buick Regal into my 87 GT with the 5 speed Getrag. The original 2.8 runs awesome and was told the clutch was replaced. So far I have my harness being shipped to me soon, have the motor mount similar to Fierorogs design and am going to use poly engine and tranny mounts. I also have the SS fuel lines that are not converted yet to fit the Fiero. I planned on going with the lower alt mount, turned down flywheel, and dogbone kit from Fierorog. I also want to keep A/C so I still need the adapter lines. I've been reading like crazy about this build and am now a little worried about the Getrag. I'm 46 with a bad back so I can't drive it too crazy but I'm sure I'll try to act like I was 20 here and there and maybe take it to the track once in a while just to have fun. I'll probably keep the 3800SC somewhat stock besides when replacing the LIM putting new lifters and the rocker kit from ZZP. When the car has some miles on it and the bugs worked out I'd like to drop down to a 3.4 pully and maybe do the Northstar throttle body swap. I'd love to dump the clutch here and there and break the tires loose to light them up. Before I spend the money in a machined flywheel, a spec 3+ clutch and some new linkage lines just to freshen everything up, should I continue my plan or change to a different manual transmission or even go to an automatic ? I love a manual transmission but want ease of installation along with reliability. As you can see by my age I'm old school and this new age engineering and electronics is all new to me. I'd love to hear all opinions. Thanks for every bodies time on their input.

i would recommend against clutch dumps myself, FWD trannies with a ton of Torque behind them just can't handle that abuse over time. with that being said, rather than change tranneis to accomodate your back, why not make yoru back better to accomodate the tranny that you want? find a chiropractor that specializes in spinal decompression, it will work WONDERS for you as it did me. i avoided two spional fusion surgeries doing decompression therapy, and i am pain free as well the best spinal decompression machien in the market is the Antalgic Track. Go to their website and find a doctor near you that has one. if you can't find one that has it, then just doa local search for a chiro that specializes in spinal decompression, ( NOT traction)

anyways, as to the tranny.. i 'think' the 284 that came on the z34's and monte carlo 3.4DOHC's is the highest rated FWD tranny in terms of TQ capacity, but don't quote me on that. it also has that intermediate shaft that will help balance the Torque evenly between the two wheels

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-06-2015 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:
anyways, as to the tranny.. i 'think' the 284 that came on the z34's and monte carlo 3.4DOHC's is the highest rated FWD tranny in terms of TQ capacity, but don't quote me on that. it also has that intermediate shaft that will help balance the Torque evenly between the two wheels

I think the F40 (400 N-m, 295 lbs-ft) is the highest rated manual FWD trans in terms of torque. I think the 284 was around 230-240 lbs-ft or so, but I'm not able to find any definite number on it at the moment. The F23 is also a sworn-by trans in terms of strength, but it's only rated for slightly more than half the torque the F40 is. They are much cheaper/easier to swap than the F40 though.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-06-2015 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Adjustso3:
I'd love to dump the clutch here and there and break the tires loose to light them up.

You probably won't even need to dump the clutch to spin the tires. With a Series II 3800SC, and the mods you listed, you should be in a pretty good spot for power and torque, and just mashing the go pedal will probably be able to break the tires loose. The Fiero GT is only a ~2800 lbs car after all.
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the info guys. The F23 is what I'm leaning towards. Does anybody know if the flywheel and clutch can be swapped into the F23 from the 282 ? This swap is gonna take me a long time to do because of the time I can actually work on the car plus limited funding. I'm very motivated to turn wrenches again. This little car brings a smile to my face which has not been seen for a long time. Do you guys who have the F23 recommend anybody for mounts and parts ? I'm gonna use the 282 and see what happens. If it blows up maybe I'll have all the parts and F23 ready to go on the bench. Thanks again for every bodies time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock