keeps stalling and poor running by Harley95
Started on: 04-04-2015 09:46 PM
Replies: 21 (391 views)
Last post by: Harley95 on 04-09-2015 08:13 AM
Harley95

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just can't win this car. I'm having more problems with the car, I have an 88 2.8 Formula 4t60 automatic that I can't get running right, I just got a scantool from Phonedawgz and went out to start the car, its only been sitting a few days because I've been off work and she would barely idle and just stall out in gear. its pretty much killing me anymore and I don't know what to do, any help or advice or pretty much anything at this is very much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Harley95 (edited 04-04-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you give us more information on your car? What has been done to it? Has it sat a long time? What else is not stock besides the transmission?
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as far as I know Gall just the tranny and exhaust, its only been sitting in the garage a few days literally
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Were there any codes? What have you checked so far? Cover the basics, check vacuum lines, plugs and wires, cap and rotor, EGR tube for cracks, is the air filter plugged. How new is the fuel in the tank? Is it just an idle issue or does it run poorly when driving too? Will it straighten out if you hold the throttle off idle or higher?
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Were there any codes? What have you checked so far? Cover the basics, check vacuum lines, plugs and wires, cap and rotor, EGR tube for cracks, is the air filter plugged. How new is the fuel in the tank? Is it just an idle issue or does it run poorly when driving too? Will it straighten out if you hold the throttle off idle or higher?

just a code 32 when it was driving for a while, gas is a week old. filter was good but will check, yeah it was running poorly driving too but was drivable when I last had it out. will also check cap and rotor.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What does running poorly mean? Missing? No power? Are there any odd sounds? wandering idle?
Is the problem the same at any speed? In any gear? Does your transmission have a TCC? I don't know anything about that transmission with a Fiero ECM, but something may be not right along those lines....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-05-2015).]

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah there's bo power, as soon as you throw it in gear it'll stall out
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With a little searching I found this:

Your transmission has a TCC lockup solenoid. Unplug it and see if you have the same problem.

Here is a discussion of the wiring on your transmission...depending on how the swap was done.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-087546.html
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
beat you to it Gall the tcc has never been hooked, PO let it hit the weatherpack exhaust, I haven't really been having tranny problems but just a slow decline in power from the engine. to recap this somewhat happened before and I took it to a mechanic, the total replace list was new plugs, new injectors, new cap and rotor, new plug wires, new fuel filter, he said he blew out the fuel lines.

[This message has been edited by Harley95 (edited 04-05-2015).]

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the egr tube, sounds like it may have cracked.
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BrittB would it sound like a loud vacuum leak?
PFF
System Bot
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
forgot to mention that when it started to lose power and everything the air intake seemed to get really noticably loud and there does seem to be a hiss in the engine bay somewhere, kind of sounds like a loud leak. I will check the egr tube and the distributer cap and rotor when the sun comes up.
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Harley95

135 posts
Member since Jul 2014
here were the results from the scantool warmed up and idling, I couldn't drive it at all because it would stall with the scantool plugged in. could someone advise me if any of this is out of the norm as I've no idea what any of it really means.

[This message has been edited by Harley95 (edited 04-07-2015).]

f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing that looks funny is the iac is stepped out to 83....fully warm (193f) . It should be only stepping around 30 at warm idle. Where any adjustments attempted to the throttle body?
If you had a vacuum leak, the iac would be at 0 (closed), trying to bring the idle down....but it's not.
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah it was fully warmed up, I've never adjusted anything on the throttlebody. is the IAC bad?
f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull inj1 fuse, if doesn't die, replace and pull inj2, if dies, then inj1 is problem, if not, then Nevermind me.
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
seen you post that in medicman's post and gave it a try, yeah I pulled both 1 will cause a stutter other kills it. does that mean I have a bad bank of injectors or what? and could someone please give me a rundown of the winaldl values and what I should do at this point?

[This message has been edited by Harley95 (edited 04-07-2015).]

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Harley95

135 posts
Member since Jul 2014
bump for suggestions please
f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you pulled one and there's a stutter, that bank was contributing. Each bank should be capable of keeping the motor running by itself. If you've pulled a fuse and the motor dies, the one remaining the opposite bank) is the bad one.

Sounds like you have a dead cylinder. Check cap wires plugs. Gap to 40-50 (some go to 55).
If that doesn't clear it up, look into a bad injector.

This is assuming your compression is even across cylinders in each bank.
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll check the wiring a little later if I can I just got home from work. when I got all the new parts put in the car ran great for a while, I mean I did 0-70 in half a quarter, but then went back to like you said running on one bank, would just a bad ground cause that slow decline or be killing said bank of injectors?
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another idea is if it sat for a week, did a rodent get to a line somewhere? Does the car give off any distinct smells you don't remember?
PFF
System Bot
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it doesn't have a cat but still smells pretty bad when its fully warmed up, I don't quite know what it smells like but bugs the crap out of my eyes. I don't think its burning oil at all. and no leaks at all on the garage cement.

[This message has been edited by Harley95 (edited 04-09-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock