Dead starter on 3800sc by Scott2scott
Started on: 04-03-2015 02:10 PM
Replies: 13 (187 views)
Last post by: Scott2scott on 04-12-2015 04:38 PM
Scott2scott

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my starter just clicks. On my 3800sc I took some time away from it this week. And just got it out of the garage to do last stuff on swap añd start putting inside back together And getting back on theroad. And bam an other road block yet again. I got car up in air now abôut to pull starter off. And looked online at local car parts and seen what they wanted for price. Like $150 i dont think iv ever paid that for any starter iv replaced im in life. Is there a cheaper one or better place ? Can i use the starter off my 86gt v6 fiero parted out car that just sittinh here? Does it fit? I guess ill see in a coulpe mins. Lol
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well just replaced the starter with the one off my 2.8 fiero that I had sitting around. it fit.. but still the same thing as the other starter .. just clicks. so I don't know. I charged the new battery overnight and I hooked jumper cables upto it at the same time. so I know there enough juice flowing to the starter. anyone have some ideas? I can spin the motor with a socket and ratchet so I know it will spin with little effort. I have have started and turn the motor over coulpe times before this happened.
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check all your connections and ground. Make sure the block is grounded to the chassis well.
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
swap harness and ground the bock and that same ground point I run a ground to the deck lid bolt.makes a good ground. so I know the block is grounded. and check all wires battery was tight and all cables the same thing.. soo it looks like I had two bad starters.. or something bigger going on like maybe some major pressure holding the starter down. but I don't think that's the problem since I can spin motor with socket ratchet. I do feel compression when I do that though.
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still sounds like a power issue. Check the grounds and make sure the battery with a volt meter.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need more than a single ground to the decklid hinge. Try jumping the solenoid right off the 12v main to the starter

After that pull the yellow/purple wire in your c500 and put power to it

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 04-03-2015).]

Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked the battery well over 14 volts So thats fine. Iv been looking online for a replacement starter . Theres alot. Just looking for a better price. Or one that is equal to it to one that will fit my 2003 gtp engine
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have my doubts its both starters, Does your battery have a ground to the chassis and engine, are they clean and tight? Does your block have a ground to the frame, clean and tight? Is your positive cable to the starter in good condition?

A battery can have 14 volts and no amperage, cant really check it with a voltmeter. If you can hook it up set to measure amps, turn the key and see if the amps drop to nothing.

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 04-03-2015).]

Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say it could be battery too. Try jumping it with another car or another battery if you have one.

Also, I have checked my battery cables with an ohmmeter in the past and they checked out good. Turns out there was only one strand of the wire still connected inside it so very little amperage could go through. If the wires are old, replace them. They are pretty cheap to buy or even make if you want to use quality wire and easier the change than a starter. If it is not the problem oh well, not out a ton of money and you will never have to even think they could be a problem again
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i just remeber my last trip to northen tool i picked up a battery load tester .lol so i will hook that bad boy up and see what it says. yes the cables are good. near mint. and yes swap hanress and battery is ground to the lug on the motor closest to the starter and everything is tight. and then from that same point a ground cable is ran to the deck lid bolt. all tight there also. and then then battery is grounded to the frame right next to it.. the car did crank with this same set up while i was testing and trouble shooter my power probelm to my feul pump so i knew the wiring is good. when the starter last worked i heard a click and seen some smoke . so i think its done for. but to test this i grabbed the one from my 2.8 gt fiero that i parted out and tried to used that one. since it fit. and all that t=did was click also just like the first one. but the didnt except the fiero one to work its old and car didnt move for a long time before i parted it out. i did order a new starter online so we well see. but i am going to whip out the load tester in abit to see what i get from it. oh yea the battery was new 6 months ago but then i took it out to do the swap and its been off the ground and on a wood work bench. and i just charged it.. its like this car doesnt ever want to see the raod ever. just did the waterpump and then no fuel pump power . and now this.. and im sure after i figured this out it will be somthing else. i love throwing money at something over and over again and still havnt or cant drive it yet..
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Scott2scott

686 posts
Member since Jun 2014
ok heres what I got and I think iv have hopefully figured it out . I put the original starter back on after thinking that It might be a lose cable I overlooked even though I pretty sure it wasn't. I was still hopeing it was a simple thing.. so I took it to advance auto and had them test it after I did. just for a second option. and they hooked it up and it spun they said it was weak.. I think the test machine they use is useless anyways. they just strap and power it up. and it spines. well of course it will it doesn't take much to spin a motor with no resistance from the engine pressue. so I think there test is pointless. but hey. so I came home put it back on. and tightened everything and put a new ground from the battery to frame it was a alittle lose. I fixed it. and hooked battery back up and to make sure I had a lot of power I hooked jumper cables upto my truck also. so I knew I had enough power. well I went inside and turned the key the car cranked up and fired up but hasn't been started in awhile so it died. so I tried to crank it again and bam there was the click again... sooo im pretty sure the starter is shot dead.. I think its just acting up on its way out. aand just palying with me. so I orderd one online and have to wait for it to get here. thanks again fiero brothers for all the input and help.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are you sure it's not just the solenoid, and not the starter ?
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I didnt test just that. Wouldnt the click i hear isnt that the solinoid engageing that causing the click noise ?
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well after car starting after no pump power for weeks. then I got it running . then the starter took a dump. and then I tired an other starter and same thing just clicks. soo I went an tracked down an orerd a brand new starter and waited for to get shipped to me . and I tested the brand new battery and charged that to.. well today I put the new starter on.. and bam the piece of trash car and starter wont start yet again go figure.. I didn't expect it to. this car and swap has been nothing but a big god damn joke waste of thousands of dollars and months of my life. I wish I never did it at all... I should have kept the car stock or better yet listened to poelpe when they told don't buy a crap fiero... yea I should have listend.. now I have a big paperweight in my garage. this this is worse than a boat being a money pit.. atleast a boat u can enjoy till it breaks, I havnt drove this car since the swap started. dumbest choice iv ever make in my life that for sure hands down. the last time this **** box started I seen smoke from the harness and it hasn't ran since.... I figured the started just dumped out them.. im thingking something else.... since iv had no power to fuel pump for weeks ..... go figure..... its a joke .... I should have got the 5.0 foxbody mustang. I picked the wrong car. I hate looking at this car everyday and I havnt touched in over a week because I knew the carp box wont start or it would be some other problem. and it did excitly what I thought it would. it lived upto the fiero reputation being crap. guess ill part it out and junk it. try to get some of my money back.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock