Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Aluminium flywheel has come loose! Can I take out the Getrag in place?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Aluminium flywheel has come loose! Can I take out the Getrag in place? by Englishrafe
Started on: 03-26-2015 04:40 PM
Replies: 16 (793 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 07-18-2016 10:16 PM
Englishrafe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishrafeSend a Private Message to EnglishrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone,
My Spec aluminium flywheel has just shaken itself loose!!
Don't think the bolts have sheared....yet?!

Can I "drop" the Getrag transmission while keeping the cradle and 3800 S2 motor in place? Or do I really have to drop the cradle to have proper access?

Should I use another aluminium flywheel or revert back to cast iron flywheel (or maybe a custom steel flywheel)?

What torque setting should I use to put a new flywheel in place? So this doesn't happen again! (I had used ARP bolts and 35ft/lbs torque setting.)

All and any input would be greatly appreciated, especialy from anyone who has had trouble with aluminium flywheels.

Thanks,

Rafe
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can hang the engine, drop the rear cradle bolts and swing it out of place, Then you can remove the transmission from engine.

Do you think that would be easier? A very few who have done it both ways thing it is easier. I have done it that way once, and will never do it again.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On a lift? like this ....

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Englishrafe:

Should I use another aluminium flywheel or revert back to cast iron flywheel (or maybe a custom steel flywheel)?

What torque setting should I use to put a new flywheel in place? So this doesn't happen again! (I had used ARP bolts and 35ft/lbs torque setting.)

All and any input would be greatly appreciated, especialy from anyone who has had trouble with aluminium flywheels.

You're supposed to be asking these questions before you stick an aluminum flywheel on your engine.

There have been a lot of posts here about "aluminum creep" over the years. I think you'll find some helpful info in This thread.

Originally stated by fieroguru:

Aluminum creep is often caused by the hole being too large, the bolt head being too small, and the material thickness being too thin at the bolted attachment. This causes very high localized pressure and room for the material to "flow" into.

If you wanted to run a Fidanza flywheel and address the creep issue, just press some thin steel bushings into the existing holes and leave them about .030" shorter than the thickness of the flywheel. The issue is the bolt holes are way too big, which reduces the area of the material the clamp force is spread against and makes it easier to "flow". The sleeves don't reduce the pressure, but they support the material and eliminate the opening it has to flow into, which will greatly reduce the chance for it to work loose.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-26-2015).]

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done it several times, and dropping the entire cradle is easier for me. It also gives you a chance to replace any other problems, main seal for example, or waterpump etc,
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have removed and replaced exactly one tranny while leaving the engine in the car.
As far as I'm concerned, the only advantage is that you don't have to mess with the wiring, fuel lines, and coolant lines.
Otherwise, it's every bit as much trouble.

I used an A-frame, with a chain hoist to support the engine, and a come-a-long to lower and raise the trans.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had real good luck with using blue loc-tite on the bolts.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

I've had real good luck with using blue loc-tite on the bolts.

The common problem with aluminum flywheels is not that the mounting bolts are backing off and getting loose, it's that the aluminum of the flywheel is getting mooshed (that's my technical term ) where the bolts go through the mounting holes. That's what the "aluminum creep" is. The end result is that the mounting bolts are no longer securing the flywheel tightly to the crankshaft.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's just a clutch issue, I just drop the cradle/transmission and support the engine. The time to remove is about the same, but the reinstall time is much shorter as you don't mess with the wiring, fuel, coolant, and brake fluid. On swapped cars, it really depends on how you routed everything.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would just drop the whole cradle. You can do it in a day if you have never done it before. Last time I did it in about 6 hours. Organized tools help.
Englishrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishrafeSend a Private Message to EnglishrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the good advice.
I'll probably drop the whole cradle - gives me more space to work.
It's just a pain to have to disconnect everything:
Brakes, fluid lines, intercooler, wireing etc...

I'll see what can be done for the alu flywheel....
....maybe inserts in the bolt holes, and loads of locktite !

Regards,
Rafe

[This message has been edited by Englishrafe (edited 03-29-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you dont have to disconnect the brake lines, Just disconnect the e-brake system and remove the calipers. U don't have to drain the oil either. just the coolant.

Here is some material that might help if you get stuck.

https://youtu.be/kLg3X-bdM_0

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000024.html

good luck.

Englishrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishrafeSend a Private Message to EnglishrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, thanks for the links!
I'll be taking out the entire cradle next week. (I had just hoped that there may have been some shortcut so as not to totally unplug or undo everything.)

For the aluminium flywheel, has anyone got a photo of the little inserts that could be used to take up the space between the bolts and the holes?
I read that someone had cut short lengths of brake pipe? I wonder if they should be ever so slighty smaller than the depth of the hole? To allow the bolt to torque down?

As well, I'm rather afraid to find that the flywheel is "shot"? Holes too far worn by the few minutes driving before I really realised that there was this problem and shut down the engine!

Once I've dismanteled everything, I'll post up a picture of the flywheel.

Untill next week.........

Rafe

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For the aluminium flywheel, has anyone got a photo of the little inserts that could be used to take up the space between the bolts and the holes?
I read that someone had cut short lengths of brake pipe? I wonder if they should be ever so slighty smaller than the depth of the hole? To allow the bolt to torque down?

Seems to me that's what fieroguru was suggesting (as posted previously).

Originally stated by fieroguru:

...address the creep issue, just press some thin steel bushings into the existing holes and leave them about .030" shorter than the thickness of the flywheel.

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have my auto out of the car, I can take pictures tonight.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Once I've dismanteled everything, I'll post up a picture of the flywheel.

Untill next week.........

It's been a long "week".
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ARGH, thread necromancy!

Anyway, I'd just like to add that I've had a Fidanza aluminum flywheel in my Fiero for almost 10 years, and it's never come loose. Maybe the Spec flywheels are made of a softer alloy, or something?

Edit to add: my flywheel bolts are torqued to 40 ft-lb, if that makes a difference.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-18-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock