THIS i dont know how to fix.... by 4thfiero
Started on: 03-24-2015 10:10 PM
Replies: 9 (398 views)
Last post by: 4thfiero on 03-25-2015 06:13 PM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So...i dont know if im missing some parts or what but...my tunk area is totally vulnerable to water getting into the trunk area! I took the car to a wand wash...and the bloody trunk was covered in soap and water...(Yes the trunk was closed all the way) I have my trunk weatherproofing...why is water getting in!? also there is a gap on each side of the deck lid of equal width on each side between the decklid and the decklid vents where i can see the engine...water and stuff can get in there too! Isnt there supposed to be more protection than that???

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your decklid have a spoiler? If so, water would probably work its way between the gasket and the spoiler. Mine gets water in this way.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is most likely one of two things. As mentioned above, around the bolts for the spoiler. However that would drip, and probably not have as much soapy water that you are talking about. Run water on the trunk, and see if it is coming through the bolt holes. If it is a fastback, there are "D" trays on both sides of the trunk that are made to capture water, and run it away from, instead of into the trunk. The notchies probably have them as well, I am just not certain. Anyhow, these D trays are 30 year old plastic and quite prone to cracking and breaking. This would let water freely run into the trunk on one or both sides.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 03-25-2015).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do u have a picture of these D trays??

Also im using notchie weather stripping on a gt fastback...i think that might be the issue too??
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero:

do u have a picture of these D trays??

Also im using notchie weather stripping on a gt fastback...i think that might be the issue too??

DING DING DING! Yea, you will never get a good seal with the wrong gasket installed. That is probably the root of the problem.

There is another "Water in the trunk" thread, and it has pictures of the D trays I was talking about.

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
perfect thanks man, ill change it, also...the d trays, i know i dont have those installed, is there a picture or thread of how to install them? i need to know how they look.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

4thfiero

815 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Also, has anyone bought the 88 gt fastback weather strip from the Fiero store?? How do those work? Should i ask someone for a used one in the mall?
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A member here (InfiniteWill) makes a fastback trunk weather strip.

Here's the link:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/048607.html

Good luck ! I used 3M window weld on my spoiler screws (applied it to the inside) and my trunk has been dry ever since. I did buy a good used notchback trunk weatherstrip but I haven't installed it yet, but the trunk is dry now.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is likely going on under your trunk carpet.

Search for rust and frame rails online and in the real world. These cars are plastic bodies attached to mild steel space frames. You likely need to remove the trunk carpet and wheel well liners at least. Underneath you will probably find extensive rust. It may or may not be practical to patch or replace all of the structure that's missing.

In your search for "frame rails" and in many build threads you will see some really rusted cars that were still driving, but soggy trunks are only a symptom. Aside from your personal safety in the event of an accident a minor bump could mangle what's left underneath, greatly complicating repairs.

Ideally you should weld in patches or even replace the frame rails, but my trunk has stayed nice and dry all through this past awful winter. I don't even weld. It did take a lot of time, paint, and various pieces of aluminium, etc.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the links

No my car has no rust on it, i bought an 88 from from the states (the desert) It was 100% rust free. Super nice. then i painted the frame, coated the frame rails (inside with that rust preventing wax) That was the first time i got water into the trunk. She will be fine, but thanks for the heads up all the same. Really appreciate you guys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock