84-87 Alternate Swaybar location by jimmo
Started on: 03-24-2015 08:35 AM
Replies: 2 (135 views)
Last post by: jimmo on 03-24-2015 08:49 AM
jimmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmoSend a Private Message to jimmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 Just thought I would share this as some of you might be in the same situation. I really wanted to install a rear sway bar on my car. I live in an area where they don't maintain the roads too well and large potholes can swallow up the car . Also the freeways are always under construction with uneven lanes. I couldn't afford to lose any ground clearance so I wanted to come up with another option. I decided to fabricate mount similar to the 88 Fiero and install the sway bar behind the rear cradle tucked up away from the ground. I cut and tweaked the two rear sections of the cradle to accept mounting surfaces I fabricated. I used two quarter inch steel plates, welded them into place and later drilled and tapped to accept the standard sway bar mounts. Next I search for the longest and links I can find to keep the geometry where it needs to be. The geometry isn't perfect however its not far off and with an additional quarter to a half inch on the end link it might be spot on. The sway bar installation was definitely a big improvement I don't have anything to compare it to but it does work and I'm happy I installed it...
 but it was a lot of work. I am contemplating welding brackets to the control arms to accept the end links and eliminating the 88 style bracket on the strut. This would allow more adjustment to get the swaybar to sit level while the car is on the ground. This is my first time posting pics. Hope they come out.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmoSend a Private Message to jimmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cant figure out the pictures
jimmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmoSend a Private Message to jimmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimmo

56 posts
Member since Oct 2012

OK Got it

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay