rear glass panel replacement by chrislayton
Started on: 03-18-2015 01:15 PM
Replies: 5 (439 views)
Last post by: unboundmo on 03-19-2015 08:48 PM
chrislayton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrislaytonSend a Private Message to chrislaytonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to replace the non heated rear glass panel on my 1986 notchback with a heated panel that I have on an 84 notchback that I've been pulling parts off that's sitting in my back yard.
I'd like to get some opinions on the best way to proceed.

The items from the 84 I'll be wanting to remove and put on my 86 are the heated rear window and the sunroof (and I've already removed the glass sail panels from the 84 and put those on the 86 which looks excellent compared to the old crappy plastic ones that the 86 originally had)

Anyhow the rest of the 84 can be trashed for all I care but I want a quick and dirty way of getting those two things out of the 84 and put those on the 86

I was thinking of starting with pulling the parts from the 84 in case something broke.
I'll try to carefully remove the 84 roof first and once that's off I'd pull out the sawzall or the grinder or both and cut away the part of the roof in manageable sections that surrounds the rear glass (rather than trying to pull piano wire all the way around the glass and pulling the glass out. I'm afraid it might be more likely to snap the glass that way.

If I'm able to get the heated glass out of the 84 without breaking it, I'd just break out the non heated rear glass and vacuum it up on the 86 to save time and energy (It's not my impression that the rear glass on the 86 is worth anything since I doubt these things break often compared to the other windows)

Also the headlight motor on the passenger's side of the 86 is not working properly so I was going to use the motor from the 84 (are those motors the same between those two years?)

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated before I tackle it..

[This message has been edited by chrislayton (edited 03-18-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always thought the defroster rear glass was kind of un needed, you will use it?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
chrislayton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrislaytonSend a Private Message to chrislaytonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I always thought the defroster rear glass was kind of un needed, you will use it?

Yes, where we are in Utah up in the mountains, I'd use it.

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I replaced the rear window for my 88 GT, I had to take off the side quarter glass/plastic panel in order to get the glass out and to install.. Also, the deck lid needs to come out too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock