Manual 282 Swap 86 Duke by Squishyxout
Started on: 03-13-2015 07:56 AM
Replies: 14 (404 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 03-17-2015 06:16 PM
Squishyxout

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SquishyxoutSend a Private Message to SquishyxoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright guys, I'm looking to swap a Getrag 282 into my Notchie, because let's face it, the Duke isn't that much fun, and Auto trannies aren't going to help their cause.

I have looked through most of the stuff I'm going to need to swap it in but I still need a few parts I can't just buy at my local parts store.

What I need is the pedal assembly for a manual, and a shifter assembly.
following the previously stated, I don't know if I can use any fiero shifter assy but I need one for a 5 speed, if the 4 speed one will work, I'll be fine with that.

I found the tranny on ebay, "Certified New" and I'm going to buy it because I haven't seen such a good deal in a long time. $400 shipping included. I've been looking things up and it's going to be about $1100 in total for the swap.
(that's including the transmission itself)

if there is anyone that has the parts I need, please PM me, and I will get back to you within 24 hours.

Also, this will become my build thread once I start the swap.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Getrag you are looking at on eBay is most likely a Quad 4 trans and will not fit the Duke engine.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When we swapped from auto to manual, we also had to swap the axels. Also I believe that the ECM should match what equipment you are using.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Also I believe that the ECM should match what equipment you are using.

ECM runs the engine and controls torque convertor lockup with automatic.
No need to change ECM or it's PROM chip when going to a manual trans.

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank yiu for correcting me! Sorry to give out inaccurate information.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Squishyxout:

I have looked through most of the stuff I'm going to need to swap it in but I still need a few parts I can't just buy at my local parts store.

The honest truth is that it would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to have bought a banged up Fiero with a 5-spd Isuzu and swapped everything you need off the donor Fiero to yours.
Squishyxout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SquishyxoutSend a Private Message to SquishyxoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

That Getrag you are looking at on eBay is most likely a Quad 4 trans and will not fit the Duke engine.

It says Fiero in the listing, but it does say it's for the quad 4 engine. I purchased it last night, and now I am unable to locate the contact seller option.
What is it that makes it so this transmission doesn't work with the Duke?

I also have been looking for a reasonably priced Manual Fiero for almost 3 years now, and I can't even find one that's been wrecked near me.
Squishyxout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SquishyxoutSend a Private Message to SquishyxoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Squishyxout

42 posts
Member since Sep 2014
Also, I was told that these transmissions would work but you have to get an adapter thing that allows you to use the FWD tranny with the M/R set up.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also have been looking for a reasonably priced Manual Fiero for almost 3 years now, and I can't even find one that's been wrecked near me.

These should be pretty reasonable.....and not too far from you.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/095071-2.html
Squishyxout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SquishyxoutSend a Private Message to SquishyxoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a truck... if I can't get a ride there and drive it back I can't buy it.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't have a truck... if I can't get a ride there and drive it back I can't buy it.

It might be a lot easier in the long run to get around that obstacle than to try and follow your original plan.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-14-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, I was told that these transmissions would work but you have to get an adapter thing that allows you to use the FWD tranny with the M/R set up.

That would be true if the trans was from something like a V6 cavalier z24.

You have a bigger problem. The quad 4 trans won't bolt to your engine. The quad 4 has a different bellhousing pattern.

[This message has been edited by KurtAKX (edited 03-15-2015).]

jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the 5 speed trans, axles, cables and shifter. no pedal assy. Fairly close also.
Steve2bnm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve2bnmClick Here to visit Steve2bnm's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steve2bnmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have bought one of the $400 trans on ebay and it is in my living room. I can measure the bolt pattern for you if you like.
I am going to use it to replace my failing Getrag for my 88 Formula. I will be swapping the bell housing so it will bolt up to my V6.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

You have a bigger problem. The quad 4 trans won't bolt to your engine. The quad 4 has a different bellhousing pattern.

Agreed. The Fiero Iron Duke uses the same bellhousing as the 2.8 V6 - NOT the Quad 4
Yup - they're the same Getrag 5-speed, but the bellhousings are very different.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-17-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock