Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  SD4 gurus. Anybody know anything about the "775" head?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
SD4 gurus. Anybody know anything about the "775" head? by Raydar
Started on: 03-08-2015 08:11 PM
Replies: 6 (293 views)
Last post by: FieroWannaBe on 03-10-2015 08:49 AM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My engine has the "775" head.

All I know is that it's cast iron, and has an exhaust port configuration that is "supposedly" similar to stock. (Although it does not have the siamesed center port(s) that I remember my 88 having. Was that just an 87-88 thing?)
It certainly doesn't have the high ports that the aluminum SD head has.

Anyone have any flow numbers? Chamber volume? Anything else that might be "cool to know"?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SD4 Build manual shows a flow chart. Looks like about 165 exhaust and 245 Intake as cast. Higher values with porting.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

SD4 Build manual...

Thank you!

Is that the one in the Pontiac Performance Plus racecar magazine that everyone talks about? If it is, I totally missed it. (only have the PDF)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-09-2015).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep that's it. I think pdf version is circa 1983, but I have hard copy as well of the 1985 version.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay... It appears that I missed a LOT of things.
The head in most of the pictures is clearly a "775" casting, unless the PDF is distorting the image, which I doubt.
The parts list shows a "776" part number, but it is shown as discontinued, as of that publication. (Actually, '83.)

In any event, it appears that they are discussing either my head, or one that is very similar. (Obviously not the high port head, but that's okay with me.)

That works!
Thanks very much.

I wonder if the high port and/or aluminum heads are that much improved over this casting. Everything I have seen on the web discusses the later aluminum heads.

Either way... much appreciated.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Newer aluminum should be better with the 801 beings the best, but I don't know how much better they are.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It appears, according to the book, the 775 head was replaced with EGR and non EGR heads that do not require sleeves when using 1/2" head bolts.
I currently have the EGR casting despite not using the EGR throttle body manifold. I also have a high port 801 casting. According to the SD4 order sheet I have the aluminum head '433' has seats and guides designed for titanium valves. Where as in the build book they assemble the iron heads with steel valves.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock