Detent cover removal with NO hole? by unboundmo
Started on: 02-26-2015 01:51 AM
Replies: 13 (365 views)
Last post by: unboundmo on 03-06-2015 01:25 AM
unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2015 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi...first off... I have an 88 Fiero with the 282 Muncie Getrag 5speed.. I need to reseal the 2 halves together. I've been to the GREAT write up in how to's but no one is answering.

I just can't get it out!!!! Prying is not working for me. I've even filed the screw driver tool down so it'll fit better but it just won't budge!! I would rather not put a hole in the center of the detent cover to get it out.. Parts seem hard to find for replacement. I've been to the Chevy dealer and obtained a part number 14082039 if I need a new one but they don't have it. It's late so I can't just call around to research that the part is correct. Not sure if the dealer knows if it is the correct part either....

If I can't find a cover what are the cons on putting a hole in the middle and using what I've read, an Allen wrench .. Then re-seal with a piece of plastic and silicone? Does it really hold up? I've also heard that it'll just pop out (the cover) due to taking it out.. Fab up some kind of bracket holder of somesuch to keep it in.. I don't plan to pull it apart again and was thinking to use somewhat window urethane adhesive to hold it in?

Has anyone ventured in this and have had success?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2015 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel putting a hole in the middle and filling it in is Mickey Mouse..! That's why my concern.. I want to do it right!
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2015 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can answer in a varity of ways.

1: the hole in the center...in the center there is a hole in the metal part, so it really does seam like they put that there to punch through it. IE plastic outside cover(the part you see) but it is a metal part coverd in plastic and the metal has a hole in the center

2: I have pryed them out before, as long as no one siliconed them in. Working all around the edge a little at a time, I did a bunch this way, I think I have only punched a hole in a couple that I couldn't get out,
AND sometimes I have success with a dent puller suction cup.

3: the last one I used I took a hammer to the case and broke the case apart to get it out intact...wait before you freak...the bellhouseing was broke (due to my last time at the track) so no loss (as I feel like you and I wanted a perfect one intact)

now to expand on #1 the very center is ment to be punched through, then the silicone justs holds in the syncromesh(fluid),

Also anything silicone, anaerobic sealant, loctite, etc will hold it in and it won't fall out. (around the outside edge of course)

Out of curiosity why are you splitting the case?

BTW anaerobic sealant is what you are supposed to use to seal the case halves back together, just FYI

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2015 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cover has a rubber type coating. I did mine maybe 15+ years ago. Drove a screwdriver in to create a hole in the middle of the cover (it is easy to do). They made the covers like this so they can be removed easily. Used a small pry bar of some type. It comes out fairly easy. Cleaned up the tear in the cover with lacquer thinner really well and RTV siliconed it inside and out to seal up the tear. Reinstalled it later with no sealant around the outer edge. Sits fit nice and tight. Has worked for 15+ years now. No leaks. You should not worry about doing it this way. There is no internal pressure in a trans. The oil behind that cover in the detent area is minimal.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually puncture the cover and pry it out, then flatten it out and reseal the tear with RTV and a thin piece of plastic.

I have had two replacement covers (one brand new, one removed and resealed) work their way out, so I made a bolt-in aluminum strap that prevents this from happening.

If the cover pops off, transmission fluid leaks all over your clutch and ruins it. It sucks when you're 3 hours from home, your transmission has emptied itself of oil, and your clutch is slipping in any gear.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your replies... I found an OEM detent cover from a GMC dealer in Georgia.. $32.95 plus shipping... I'll be waiting for it before I put a hole in mine to take it out.. Part #14082039... supplies are limited so hopefully this will be the last time to split the case

Sardonyx.. To answer your question why the disassemble... When I did the rebuild of my ride the first time I took the tranny to AAMCO... Big mistake!!! No sealant between the halves including no sealant at the end plate.. It leaked continuously. Now I'm taking the matter in my own hands.

You mentioned a broken bell housing!! I do see stress cracks in mine now in areas. Not through to the outside.. Just miner. Should I be worried ? Thinking I should have ordered 2 covers
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure they're stress cracks and not casting flash from cracks in the sand? Can you post pictures of the "cracks"?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2015 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steve.. I think you're right.. Casting marks that look like cracks.. Fewuu

Okay... We are still in businessss!
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2015 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now I have to ask what they did to the trans? or were supposed to do?
The REAL question is did they have or use the shim selector tool for rebuilding the 282?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2015 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Now I have to ask what they did to the trans? or were supposed to do?
The REAL question is did they have or use the shim selector tool for rebuilding the 282?

Originally I wanted the first AAMCO to hot bath it, clean up the 20 year grease and grime.. I figured since the tranny was out, because of the engine swap / rebuild, to put new CV seals, separate the tranny halves ( I couldn't tell where the leaks were coming from since over the 20 yrs ) and re-seal the halves with the correct procedure... I didn't have them dissemble the gearing. Just reseal.

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 03-02-2015).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2015 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW here is what you use to seal the halves together.
Permatex® Anaerobic Gasket Maker

oh and just fyi, you really don't need to clean the inside of the 282s I have never seen sludge in one and have pulled quite a few apart.
sometimes you find a few wear shavings/dust stuck to the magnet in side, but the fluid is usally clean.
speaking of... don't forget to make sure the magnet is in it's slot when you reassemble.
PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the input Sardonyx...

Still waiting for shipment of the cover. GMC says it's on its way
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to again say thanks.. The detent cover came in and it is exact replacement.. GM -- OEM part# 14082039 for reference if someone needs one. I removed the old one and am starting the split of the halves..

Sardonyx... Thanks again for the sealant recommendation and other things, I'm going to Autozone now to pick some up... Fyi.. Sorry about the other 1.6 vs 1.5 rocker thread.. Never meant to be so blunt. I just wasn't expecting it as stated.. Truce

I'd like to shout out!---- for this forum. I wouldn't have been able to learn without you guys... CHEERS!

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 03-06-2015).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Heads up... No anaerobic gasket sealant at autozone. I'll check napa tommorrow... Permatex website says to use their prep spray on one side and the anaerobic on the other... And try to have no lateral movements when assembling just fyi

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock