Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
   4 speed shift cables bracket hits exhaust crossover.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
4 speed shift cables bracket hits exhaust crossover. by Scott2scott
Started on: 02-23-2015 09:31 AM
Replies: 21 (625 views)
Last post by: Tuna Helper on 04-24-2015 06:40 PM
Scott2scott

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok got motor mounted to trans and everything in cradle now . But my 4 speed shifter cables run right into 3800sc exhaust crossover pipe. I remember reading something about how to fix this but cant find it now. Do i move the one i have or make something esle or does someone make or sell this bracket already? Any input would be great
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nevermind. i found it. infact i posted something about this about month ago. lol and forgot. i guess im losing my mind. lol .
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scott, can you please post how you are going to remedy this. I have seen people weld and modify the existing bracket, some say Rodney's replacement bracket works as a modded bracket with no real mod, and then there's always modding the exhaust crossover pipe, which some people prefer.
I'm not up to that yet but I can't weld so I am either gonna go for Rodney's bracket (if that really moves the cables enough to avoid the exhaust crossover pipe), or ask FIEROFLYER to mod my crossover pipe when he makes my swap harness.

If there is anyone here in the states that mods the bracket or exhaust crossover pipe PLEASE let me know.
Thank you!
Louis

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 02-23-2015).]

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I did on mine. I used Rodney's bracket to shift the cables to the side so they'd clear the crossover pipe. I was able to easily reach all gears with the cables like this but don't have any road miles on the car yet to test its longevity.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it's really as easy as buying Rodney's bracket and installing it using the same bolt holes as the stock bracket? That's it?
Maybe Rodney can chime in?

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea im goin to do what jfrost has. But im goin to use the same bracket off my other trans and cut the bottom off so it will be just like rodneys bracket but just free.
Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott2scott:

Yea im goin to do what jfrost has. But im goin to use the same bracket off my other trans and cut the bottom off so it will be just like rodneys bracket but just free.

I'd advise against that. The stock bracket is known to be weak and crack, as mine did. The different angle and added stresses will likely break the bracket.
Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jfrost

1092 posts
Member since Jul 2009

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

So it's really as easy as buying Rodney's bracket and installing it using the same bolt holes as the stock bracket? That's it?
Maybe Rodney can chime in?

Potentially its that easy. Like I mentioned, I haven't actually driven around with this setup yet due to unrelated issues with my swap, so it needs to be "stress-tested" still.
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well I think if they have made 30 years without bending or showing any signs of stress they should be alright plus I plan cutting a flat piece steel and reinforcing the new top plate with it under that and above old. so the load will be more even. plus I really don't think there that much stress or great force cable form shifter cables those ears just hold the outter sleeve in place so the cable can slide back and forth inside just like shift/brake cables on a bicycle would. were not taling about stress or force from torque or anything like that. so I think it will just fine. but hay were open to are own ideas and views. we all do stuff different. jforst I do enjoy reading your build.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it'll cost me $60 plus shipping from Canada for the modded exhaust crossover pipe, so $35 plus USA shipping sounds nice.
Please post results after you have street driven your cars! I can't even do any driveway work till late march (too crazy cold outside and I have no garage-been rebuilding the 3800sc out in my back boathouse that has a kerosene heater which works fairly well.)

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 02-23-2015).]

Tuna Helper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did mine like in the picture, but I mad a "stand" for the left side cable attachment so the cable comes out straighter, and then for the other cable I angled it towards the lever. I really need to get the RD bracket and re-do it though.
PFF
System Bot
Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott2scott:

jforst I do enjoy reading your build.

Thanks for the kind words. Im hoping to have it on the road next month, April at the latest.
Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jfrost

1092 posts
Member since Jul 2009

Originally posted by Tuna Helper:

I did mine like in the picture, but I mad a "stand" for the left side cable attachment so the cable comes out straighter, and then for the other cable I angled it towards the lever. I really need to get the RD bracket and re-do it though.

Any pictures of your setup? I'm curious to see how it looks in case I need to adjust my setup once I've roadtested it.
jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been running a set up like jfrost has for 2 years now. And I drive it hard. It will hold up just fine
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well today I installed the cradle with the newer trans and poly cradle with the fresh painted two toned black and silver 3800sc. now its just hooking up fuel lines and coolant hoses. and shifter bracket. it wasn't to bad. went pretty well. about 4 hours. cars back on its own wheels now.
Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2015 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaybug56:

I've been running a set up like jfrost has for 2 years now. And I drive it hard. It will hold up just fine

Good to know. I remember discussing the options first time we met up 2 years ago, guess you beat me to it lol.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2015 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jaybug56, PM sent asking for more info.
Thanks
Louis

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2015 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

Good to know. I remember discussing the options first time we met up 2 years ago, guess you beat me to it lol.

Seems to be the most stable mod in my 3800sc swap
I have had to tow my car home 3 or 4 times in the past 2 years. Let's see, there has been a broken motor mount cause my exhaust to come a part, broken dog bone bracket ( I now have 2 dog bones ) that broke some bolts on the new motor mount, thru a belt after intake back fire and one time for a ignition problem. Oh yeah, I run out of gas about once a month. I only get about 10 - 12 mpg the way I drive it. That's only 120 miles between fill ups. I can't wait to get the Fino with 3800sc and 5 speed finished. Want to see the difference between the 4 and 5 speeds
jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got outside and cleared snow off my Fiero to get pictures today This set up has worked for me for 2 years (summers) now.

First picture is what I started with

This pictures shows the angle the new bracket is attached. If the new bracket was attached in a stock location there would be no unpainted surface showing under it.
I put an angle on it so the cables pull straight, keeping the cable jacket or housing in line with the ball fitting

This shows how the shift cables clear the crossover pipe

Hope it helps

Jay

[This message has been edited by jaybug56 (edited 03-01-2015).]

Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Jay! I finally got mine on the road this past weekend. I had to adjust the select cable as I was only able to get 2nd and 4th gear without it grinding. I now have all gears except 1st which only works every 1 out of 10 attempts to keep in gear, otherwise it either pops out or grinds when I let off the clutch. I hope all it'll take is adjusting the shift cable to remedy the 1st gear issue.

Did you have to adjust yours a lot to get it working?

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same issue with my 4.9. I just welded up a modified crossover pipe, however, the more expensive and perhaps a little better way is to fabricate true duals.
PFF
System Bot
Tuna Helper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is mine. The copper tube is to brace it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock