7730 ECM by Csjag
Started on: 02-23-2015 08:43 AM
Replies: 12 (893 views)
Last post by: LostNotForgotton on 03-02-2015 10:27 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a stock 85 Fiero GT. Has anyone upgraded a stock engine to the 7730 ecm and if so does it make enough difference to be worth the trouble? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't upgraded yet but I have all the parts to do it including "DIS". Here's a link that may help.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-079574.html

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Swapping in the newer ECM makes me wonder what kind of HP is increased with the stock 2.8.

Anyone got a general idea?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a lot of hp gain but much better engine response because of faster processing and management of information from the sensors. It may feel like you've got more hp than what you actually gained.
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I've gathered as "research" you could expect drastically better engine behavior and better mileage in the 2+ in town to 5+ highway range. I have all the parts for mine, but am waiting for the wife and kids to go away for a day before i attempt this one.
I've elected to keep the dizzy because of the pain of setting up the crank sensor, also you'll need a chip burnt for your setup i.e. 4speed, ac, 2.8 or modded? , egr, stuff like that.
If i get to it soon, I'll post how it went here.
Ron
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to chime in, I went the 7730 but it was only so I could run custom code to run a 3 bar map and a wideband.

But when I went DIS it was a huge improvement in the upper RPMs as the real problem in the upper RPMs is the stock coil, not the breathing factor everyone on here says. But then again I am the only one to figure out how to do DIS right with my code. but I know the reg 7730 has DIS code.

and setting up the crank sensor is easy, only with a 3.4 is it possible, the crank sensor just wires into the ICM, execpt for the timming offset for the DIS, the ECM does not even know it is running it. If you can wire up the 7730, DIS is a cake walk.

edit to add:the main advantage for the 7730 is so you can do better tuning of the ECM, as the stock ECM only spits out data at 1.5 seconds a frame and the 7730 does 1/10th of a second, so 15 times the data. Just FYI

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 02-24-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I imagine that the throttle response would be similar to what I have on my 2004 Chevy Venture van with the 3400, it has immediate throttle response. The big question for me though is how hard it would be to install. I can change water pumps and starters and do tune ups but I've never rewired an ecm or programmed one.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running a LX9 3500 with the 7730 ECM. Overall, i'm happy with where it's at, but it's taken a long time to dial in the tune, and its still not done. For a stock 2.8 this shouldn't be an issue.

Strangely though I have the same oscillating idle that I had with the 2.8 / 7170 ECM and I haven't been able to get rid of it.

As far as installing, it's not too bad but take your time. Also, take the time to re-pin the connectors instead of cutting/soldering, it will be much cleaner. You will have to shorten and lengthen some wires, either use some GOOD butt splices + heat shrink or heat shrink and solder, electrical tape will be a mess. I ended up buying a weatherpack connector kit to make OEM-style connectors but you probably won't need this, I had to add some extra wires for my swap.

[This message has been edited by masospaghetti (edited 02-24-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay thanks, is there a source for written instructions on how to do the change on a stock 2.8?
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link
PFF
System Bot
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but thought I'd ask this'd question here, since the original poster and myself will benefit from it.
I've pinned out my harness (off the car) and have a couple questions.
According to Darth instructions:
1) The location of serial data to aldl is a9, however, the gm published pin out showed a8.
2) D6 and d7 (injector grounds) i spliced to a12 all grounds to engine block. Is that ok?
3) Shift light location as F6, but gm shows f1
4) what's the deal with D12 and d2? For ac, when are they necessary? It said "optional".

Repinning was easy once i was oriented to the plugs correctly.
Ron
LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2015 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a step-by-step video of my 7730 ECM swap. I have a 3.4 pushrod which is the same as the 2.8 but I had the extra threaded boss on the block for a knock sensor so I went with a DIS setup. The video is long but you can see pretty much everything involved. I love my coversion. One of the best upgrades I've done. Better throttle response which might give the impression of more hp and I've gained about 1 mpg in hwy fuel economy. Hopefully you'll find it usefull.

------------------
87 Fiero GT 3.4 Pushrod with 7730 ECM & DIS
88 MERA #8013
85 Fiero SE with 3.1 pushrod
86 Fiero SE 2.8 stock
http://www.youtube.com/LostNotForgotton

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors