2.5 to 2.8 swap auto trans cable by Lancer-AM
Started on: 02-22-2015 08:13 PM
Replies: 4 (173 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 03-06-2015 11:52 AM
Lancer-AM

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lancer-AMSend a Private Message to Lancer-AMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick Question, I have been swapping an 86 2.8 auto into a 85 2.5 auto car. I have completed the swap and have it running but there seems to be an issue at the transmission cable. Using the 2.5 auto cable it appears too short to allow the full range of selection. It gets to neutral and seems to stop. Do I need the shift cable from the 2.8 as well?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. The cables are the same. The transmissions sit in exactly the same place. Do you know how to adjust the cable?
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same trans hosing, same switch, same cable. should be no adj needed. got picture of you cable mounting bracket installed ? maybe you've got it in the wrong Groove.
Lancer-AM

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lancer-AMSend a Private Message to Lancer-AMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I would update this thread since there are some things that need to be cleared up.

There is more than one cable for the Fiero Auto transmission. There is an adjustable cable and a non-adjustable cable. Each one has its own bracket and shift lever on the transmission. It is likely not many people have needed to do this swap and even when they did they would usually have both transmissions in them. Since the 85 with the non-adjustable cable did not have the transmission we didn't have the parts to swap tomake the non-adjustable cable work. The non-adjustable bracket is shorter than the adjustable one and the trans shift lever is clocked differently. We ended up getting the shorter bracket but were unable to get ahold of the shift lever. We ended up pulling the shift cable from my car and installing it in the 85. After an adjustment the 85 was ready to go.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good info, thanks for the update.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock