Where do I get this part? by zzzhuh
Started on: 02-10-2015 03:27 PM
Replies: 10 (407 views)
Last post by: zzzhuh on 02-14-2015 08:19 PM
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently bought Rodney Dickman's Clutch Master Cylinder. I think it's a high quality piece and I love the fact that the reservoir cap is a simple twist and pull compared to the original.

However I do have one complaint.

I ordered the small banjo for my 4 speed 86 GT but the brass clip he sent with his banjo does not fit my car. I figured I would just use the old plastic clip that was on the original but unfortunately it snapped while I was trying to drive it. I managed to make it home (I didn't drive very far) and I tried to get the brass piece to be wider so that it would fit onto my clutch pedal. The brass piece was then split into two because it was already about as thin as it could get.

Honestly, I don't see how the brass piece is better than the plastic snap on that original came with our cars. I feel like the brass piece would end up just sliding off where as the plastic clip can stay in place.

None the less, I am now trying to find a new clip that goes from the banjo onto the clutch pedal. Anyone know where I can find one? I tried a local auto part store and even tried a GM dealership. The piece has either been discontinued or they just don't have it.

Any help would be great.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 02-10-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2015 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you asked Rodney about it? It sounds to me like you might have just got the wrong one.

When I installed the adjustable aluminum master in my car, it fit perfectly. I have an 87 though, and I compared the pictures to what my car already had about 10 times before I actually ordered the parts though.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

After it being super cold the past few weeks, I was finally able to check and see my clutch pedal.

Rodney Dickman has this picture on his website show casing the difference:

Mine looks like this:

It doesn't seem to look like either one that Dickman shows. I know for a fact this is the second gen version because my Clutch master cylinder has the filler in the middle instead of the end.

Anyone able to help?

Im not sure Dickman carries one that will slide over my style of clutch pedal.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2015 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh. Interesting. The Fiero Store has the plastic piece you're looking for. If there's a manual Fiero in a salvage yard near you, maybe grab the pedal out of it? I wonder if the pedal in your car was changed at some point, to the wrong one.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Oh. Interesting. The Fiero Store has the plastic piece you're looking for. If there's a manual Fiero in a salvage yard near you, maybe grab the pedal out of it? I wonder if the pedal in your car was changed at some point, to the wrong one.

I tried to find the piece but I couldn't find it on their website, could you provide a link?

Apparently 86 is an weird year. I've heard of some 86's coming with the gen 2 head light system and other various things that would be found on 87''s or 85's (such as the gen 1 master cylinder.)

I guess they made 3 different styles of pedals in 86 and mine happens to be dead center in the middle of the old or the new.

I did however find some clips from ACE'S hardware that fit both on the banjo and inside of the clutch pedal. Unfortunately it has these clips that get in the way when you have them on. I will upload some photo's of what I did in a bit.
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

I tried to find the piece but I couldn't find it on their website, could you provide a link?

Apparently 86 is an weird year. I've heard of some 86's coming with the gen 2 head light system and other various things that would be found on 87''s or 85's (such as the gen 1 master cylinder.)

I guess they made 3 different styles of pedals in 86 and mine happens to be dead center in the middle of the old or the new.

I did however find some clips from ACE'S hardware that fit both on the banjo and inside of the clutch pedal. Unfortunately it has these clips that get in the way when you have them on. I will upload some photo's of what I did in a bit.

If it makes you feel any better, you aren't the only one with this same exact issue.

I bought an '86 GT 4-speed several months ago. The previous owner installed a new clutch master cylinder and installed it with the supplied plastic bushing. Needless to say, this bushing fit so tight that it quickly got squished and torn into oblivion. I ordered a new brass bushing from Rodney as well, thinking that's all it would need. Turns out, I have the same problem as you; it will not fit... the inner diameter is slightly too small. I have the same exact style attachment point that you have and I haven't come up with a solution.

I tried to install a new plastic bushing, only to have it pop completely loose on me while driving (just like you). Luckily I was only a few blocks from home and limped it back in 2nd gear.

Aside from replacing the entire pedal assembly, I'm not sure what the solution may be. I am currently running without a bushing, and have a thin "center-star" clip holding it on the shaft. Not cool.

I believe the Fiero Store bushing is the same one that our clutch pedals are destroying:

http://www.fierostore.com/P...spx?s=64900&d=89&p=1

So....

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 02-10-2015).]

zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITALGT:

I believe the Fiero Store bushing is the same one that our clutch pedals are destroying:

http://www.fierostore.com/P...spx?s=64900&d=89&p=1

So....

I am ordering one of those as we speak but for the meantime (sorry I will take some pictures tomorrow) is I bought some plastic clips (similar to the original) and put the banjo on the clutch pedal then put the plastic piece on at the end. I also cut another one at an angle so it would be able to expand after I get it on the banjo. Im gonna see if this design works out tomorrow.

Hopefully the one's TFS sells work well. If not, I might have to replace the whole assembly and I don't want to do it because there is nothing wrong with the one I have.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, I'd upgrade to TFS pedal. Its made out of steel, and you have less problems in the future.

I have them on both of my 88s.

This is something I recommend, big time.

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

FWIW, I'd upgrade to TFS pedal. Its made out of steel, and you have less problems in the future.

I have them on both of my 88s.

This is something I recommend, big time.

If my clutch pedal ever starts to wear out I'll be sure to get it. On the other hand, I don't think it's necessary to throw mine away when I have no issues other than a clip for the banjo. I don't necessarily blame Rodney but I do wish he offered a brass plating or even the same plastic one to replace it with.

Some people might not be aware it doesn't fit until they try it. Hopefully this thread will make people aware of it in the future.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zzzhuh

826 posts
Member since Jan 2014
Here is one of the plastic pieces I bought for $0.33 at ace hardware. I cut it at an angle, similar to how things connected in a 68 GTO. It has an outer diameter of .5 and an inner diameter of 7/16th's with this cut.

I'll post a picture tomorrow of it in action, not sure if this is a permanent fix but it should hold up while I wait for the new one. Hopefully it works because $0.33 is better than $10.00

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 02-11-2015).]

zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately the above photo didn't work the way I had planned. I did however buy the new clip from the Fiero store and now everything is good. Here are some photo's of the clip I was using for $0.33 vs $10.00.

Here is the cheap clip I found at Ace Hardware:

Here is the OEM:

(Part Number)

I had the old clip in there by having the banjo slide onto the clutch pedal then had the clip at the end.... It worked but I wouldn't recommend it:

The OEM clip really is the best way to go:

Notice how the teeth utilize that dip in the clutch pedal, this helps keep it secure and in place:

I hope this helped at least someone with the confusion.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock