AC unit by Northwoods2
Started on: 02-04-2015 07:51 PM
Replies: 9 (343 views)
Last post by: Northwoods2 on 02-19-2015 07:14 PM
Northwoods2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Northwoods2Send a Private Message to Northwoods2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a problem I have to address in the up coming spring here, but the last thing I did to my Fiero was look at why the A/C wasn't working. I figured it was low on refrigerant, so I bought a can with a gauge on it from the local store and it said it was fully charged. So what should I look for now myself ? I don't have any abnormal noises coming from the unit either. Thanks for directions here.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to trace power through the various systems.

I would start by verifying that the radiator cooling fan turns on when you select either Max, Norm, or Bi-Lev. If the fan turns on, then you know that the HVAC controls on the dash are working. Then I would take a test light to see if power is making its way to the low pressure/cycle switch on the receiver/dryer. If so, unplug the switch and jump the connector. If the compressor turns on, then either the system is just low enough on refrigerant to not allow the system to operate, or that cycle switch itself is bad. I'm assuming that if you bought one of those recharge kits at a local auto parts store, then your AC system must have already been converted to 134a refrigerant.

If jumping that connector does not cycle the compressor, then check the AC relay located in the engine compartment on the firewall. It's on the left side below the rear window. There are two relays there, one is fuel pump, the other is AC for the clutch. The relays are interchangeable so you can swap em to see if you can get AC clutch to engage. Try that, and check back.
therepairguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for therepairguySend a Private Message to therepairguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You said your gauge showed "fully charged", what pressure did the gauge show, on the low side??? 25-35 psi?????/ that says the compressor is running, if it shows over 70 on low side, then compressor is NOT running, what do you have?????
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on weather....
Too Cold, < ~35°F, weather kill most car AC.
Is made to do this. Low limit switch cuts out for low charge or cold refrigerate.
Wait until weather >70°F before testing.

Won't run when weather is warm then under charge or electrical problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has this been converted over to R134A? Sorry, I have to ask as the original system was R12. Does the compressor turn on at all?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Has this been converted over to R134A? Sorry, I have to ask as the original system was R12. Does the compressor turn on at all?

My question too.
Northwoods2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Northwoods2Send a Private Message to Northwoods2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank yous, can't wait till warm weather. It was -10 this morning. But as far as the gauge reading, it was just the back pressure reading from the 134R can boughten from the local auto parts store. I took readings on the relays, I did swap them, but never heard the clutch kick in either. I haven't did anymore than this yet. I have a decent sized garage, but not heated yet. So I'll at least take in some helpful info from my fellow Fiero car nuts.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Northwoods2:

Thank yous, can't wait till warm weather. It was -10 this morning. But as far as the gauge reading, it was just the back pressure reading from the 134R can boughten from the local auto parts store. I took readings on the relays, I did swap them, but never heard the clutch kick in either. I haven't did anymore than this yet. I have a decent sized garage, but not heated yet. So I'll at least take in some helpful info from my fellow Fiero car nuts.

-22F here this morning

So. Has this been converted to r134? This is important to know. R12 and 134 are not interchangeable.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We were a little better south of you, only -10 this morning. I converted mine to r134 last year, and after several small leaks repaired, new compressor and accumulator I have good AC. Sounds like the AC clutch might have fried. When the weather gets better you may need to check and see if your getting power to the clutch. One more thing, is your radiator fan coming on when you put the heat control to AC? If not you temp control switch may be bad.
Northwoods2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Northwoods2Send a Private Message to Northwoods2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. It is still a cold bastard out there. Minus 18 last night and tonight again. It warmed up to 0 degrees today. I have to wait for nice weather to deal with my A/C. The replies help though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock