Magden M.1B computer for sale again?? by 4thfiero
Started on: 01-23-2015 12:41 AM
Replies: 7 (948 views)
Last post by: 4thfiero on 01-23-2015 05:52 PM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to see if there is any interest to purchase this device, M.1B was a digital gauge cluster that hooks into your obd2 port of a car and displays real time information, also data logs dynamic hp and lots of other cool things. I installed one in my Fiero. Its pretty cool. It was the computer system featured in Fast and Furious 4 in Paul Walkers Skyline R34. Unfortunately the company went out of business they stopped selling them in 2008.

I have the source code for the system and am going to start building the computer boxes again (incase mine ever breaks). But wanted to see if anyone else wanted one. These things go for 6-8 hundred bucks. They can hook into a touch screen deck or 3rd party lcd screen. Information on the computer can be found if u google magden m.1b. screenshots and all that. below is a youtube video of the magden being displayed at SEMA. I can also alter the code to program specific cars into the vehicle selection screen...including one off cars or custom built machines to data log accurately. Let me know what u guys think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSxzj7pP8kE
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also i should mention the source code is open source, and i got it from magden to re-distribute. Im just building the boxes again and altering the code to fully customize it for other cars.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny you referenced that particular video... I was standing behind the camera when Robert did the interview

In the day that was an AMAZING setup! I had a system like that set up on my CarPC using the free Road Runner software.

With current technology, you can do that with just about any phone or tablet. I have a OBDII Bluetooth adapter in my truck (My Fiero has stock 2.8 thus OBD 1). With it I can display the info in graphs, gauges, analog style or digital on either my phone or on my tablet. You can arrange the gauges, resize them, change the colors, styles, and get just what you want, and then have unlimited screens that you can swipe through.

Here is a complete setup for $85 that includes both the tablet and Bluetooth OBDII adapter.

You can even use the Torque app and overlay gauges or data directly on top of video:

I'm not trying to put a damper on what you are trying to put together, it's just when that video was made, the iPhone didn't even exist yet The company went out of business, it's sad to say, for a reason. Technology pretty much replaced what they had.

Trust me, I know this all too well, and unfortunately from experience I was back and forth to China 3 times working on a project for in-car systems similar to their product. It did GPS, Streaming Internet Radio, OBDII, and so much more. Everything that can now be done with the phone in your pocket. If we had gone to market just a few years earlier, it could have been a very profitable venture. We had this working at trade shows before Ford Sync or the iPhone were ever heard of.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 01-23-2015).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I knew nothing about this android /OBD2 based system .I know this is probably not what the OP had in mind , but I was looking at all the stuff available and I had no idea what was out there .And cheap too .Thanks for posting this .
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2015 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero:

Also i should mention the source code is open source, and i got it from magden to re-distribute. Im just building the boxes again and altering the code to fully customize it for other cars.

Is it available on github or anywhere, and under what license?
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Is it available on github or anywhere, and under what license?

No and im not sure yet, i only spoke to them yesterday, the programmer is digging up the source code. I just wanted to see if there was any interest. There was huge interest on other car forums of guys that still want this device. So i thought i'd ask here too, even though most ppl are running obd1.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2015 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero:
No and im not sure yet, i only spoke to them yesterday, the programmer is digging up the source code. I just wanted to see if there was any interest. There was huge interest on other car forums of guys that still want this device. So i thought i'd ask here too, even though most ppl are running obd1.

I'm not so much interested in the device itself, but I am very interested in the source code if it's open source and under a reasonable license. There are too few open source OBD things, and most of them are pretty bad.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotcha, i'll let u know as soon as i know

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock