Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1988 Fiero rear wheel bearing upgrade for durability (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
1988 Fiero rear wheel bearing upgrade for durability by Steven Snyder
Started on: 01-22-2015 04:22 PM
Replies: 54 (5414 views)
Last post by: fierogt28 on 12-18-2020 02:51 AM
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed my modified knuckles and hubs over the weekend.

Modified knuckle and axle spacer installed:

I had to modify the axle spacers because the fillets on the axles on my car were larger than the fillet on the axle I used as a template. I'll update the drawing when I get a chance, but make sure you confirm fitment by checking for a gap between the spacer and spindle. The gap will be only a thou or two, so use a light to inspect. Enlarge the chamfer if needed.

J-body hub bearing installed (with ARP 100-7708 studs):

I used a new axle nut and axle nut washer from a J-body (not shown). I'm not sure if they're the same as the Fiero parts.

There are three torque specs listed for these hubs, despite the hubs being the same for all years:
1984-1997: 184 ft-lbs (260 N*m)
1998-2001: 144 ft-lbs (195 N*m)
2002-2003: 148 ft-lbs (200 N*m)

I do not know the reason for the different torque specs. I used 184 ft-lbs.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 03-30-2015).]

IP: Logged
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2015 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is is still in the prototype stages, but hopefully if it works well under the stress loads of wheel bearings on cars/trucks, there will be some available that would fit the Fiero, at some point.

http://www.popularmechanics...greaseless-bearings/

Just saw this today, and thought I'd share it here.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2016 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was browsing the web and found that early wrx sti rear suspension is virtually the same as the 88 rear. What about using the wrx uprights to gain better bearings in the rear? I'm not sure what the wrx axel spline count is, but I'm sure you could mod the fiero axels to work. Other things that would need to be worked out are strut length, swaybar mount, and possibly modifying the trailing link mount. The lateral links look pretty close. Of coarse the bolt pattern would change, but could possibly redrill the hubs back to 5x100. The wheel offset may also change.
If I run across one in the junkyard I may grab it too see if this is feasible.
Here are some pics of the wrx stuff.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

I was browsing the web and found that early wrx sti rear suspension is virtually the same as the 88 rear.

Of coarse the bolt pattern would change, but could possibly redrill the hubs back to 5x100.

I believe the Subaru Impreza/WRX/STI wheel bolt patterns are the same as the Fiero... in which case that's a bonus!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-08-2016).]

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After further reading I have found that the wrx rear bearings are no better then the 88 fiero's. However, 2005 STI's use basically the same upright, but have an upgraded bearing. The WRX has 5x100 pattern hubs, the STI has 5x114.3 pattern.
Some discussion here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/fo...thread.php?t=1591652
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... the STI has 5x114.3 pattern.

That appears to apply only to 2007 and up.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have also realized that the STI has a small drum brake inside the hat of the rotor and serves as the parking brake. This could be a problem to overcome. Perhaps the whole assembled could be eliminated by using the fiero calipers?

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 02-08-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have also realized that the STI has a small drum brake inside the hat of the rotor and serves as the parking brake. This could be a problem to overcome.

Is the drum parking brake necessarily a bad thing?
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont know if im fully understanding this mod...basically u can install an F body hub onto the rear of the Fiero?? (What car is that off of and what year?)

also, (and there is a reason im asking this) with this mod, could one install a FRONT Fiero hub onto the rear of the Fiero? or no...
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is about installing J body (late 90's cavalier etc.) front bearings into the rear of 88 fieros to get a more durable bearing for racing.
I'm hijacking with talk of using modified Subaru STI uprights to again, get better bearings in the rear.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bridgetown

1210 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Patrick:

Is the drum parking brake necessarily a bad thing?

Well, maybe not. You would need to try to make the cables work somehow, which could be tricky. The real downside imo is the extra unsprung weight having a drum and rotor brake.

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 02-08-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This thread is about installing J body (late 90's cavalier etc.) front bearings into the rear of 88 fieros to get a more durable bearing for racing.
I'm hijacking with talk of using modified Subaru STI uprights to again, get better bearings in the rear.

Interesting, has anyone tried that?? This upgrade? or is it just a theory at this point??

revson1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2017 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revson1Send a Private Message to revson1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I'm building a 88 for Lemons and have begun machining the rear knuckles. What I don't understand is why you need the spacer and where it goes. I know I'm missing something. BTW, great write up in the original post.
pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2017 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you saying that improving the wheel bearings will prevent hubs from breaking ??
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2020 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IXSLR8:

Cadillac Rear wheel/hub update to be used on the front of 88's: I decided to look into this. I've been to wrecking yards and the bearings I have found are all aftermarket. I took them apart and the reason you can not use them is that they all have a crush collar compressed around a lip at the end of an unthreaded shaft. You'd have to take a die grinder and cut parts off until the cap can be removed. The collar is on a lip instead of a threaded shaft. Hence the aftermarket unusability as previously stated. However, I did find one new bearing, made in the USA, that had been sitting on a shelf for a long, long time. It has the nut on the end of the shaft with a cotter pin, under the seal cap. The problem is its only ONE and they are all gone.

I eventually did find two US made New Old Stock Green RW402's. These are the specified 513009 bearing hubs made by Green in the USA. They disassemble and have the large castle nut. BUT, they will not work because the spindle is manufactured from the opposite side of the bearing. The spindle is made on the mount to the cadillac side not the hub side. Total bummer.

Additional note: 1984-1985 (non ABS) Corvette front wheel hubs are a direct bolt in for the Cadillac Seville. But I have not taken them apart to see if they have the same bearing dimensions as the rear Cadillac bearing/hubs. They are more readily available but the nonABS ones are hard to find.

Pretty close to a dead end.

Are the NOS Green RW-405 made in the USA a good bearings?

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock