Burping coolant with a safety radiator cap, quick quesiton by MacGyversMullet
Started on: 01-17-2015 12:34 PM
Replies: 7 (807 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 01-17-2015 05:43 PM
MacGyversMullet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a safety radiator cap, with the pressure relief lever. When burping the coolant, can I just lift this lever to get rid of the air bubbles without having to loosen the cap? Or should I still loosen the cap until coolant runs out each time?

I know it seems like a dumb question, but I just didn't want to assume things and waste a bunch of time burping. Thanks ahead of time!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes lift the lever slightly until you here the air escaping. Be careful if the coolant is hot as you might get a steam burn.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what ive seen on here many times, the lever action cap is not recommended ever. Use an OEM type. You can search or go to Ogres Cave.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can try that but lever types can develop air leaks and then radiator will suck air when system cools.
Some says lever types hit the hood and that can cause problem too but I don't know.

See my Cave, Radiator Caps and Coolant Fill

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-17-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

You can try that but lever types can develop air leaks and then radiator will suck air when system cools.
Some say lever types hit the hood and that can cause problem too but I don't know.

It was a bit confusing, so I made a couple of corrections.
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahhh, so it isn't recommended to use. That's good to know! I will swap it out for the OEM style cap and bleed like normal. Thanks, guys!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
It was a bit confusing, so I made a couple of corrections.

Yup wrong word...
Edit to fix the links too.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're using a" Lever cap" On The Radiator, the Radiator is Lower than the engine, so .... when you lift the lever you will in all likelihood be letting Air IN, not out. That's why you Fill from the back. the only way what you are doing will work, IS, if you jack up the front of the car so it is about 6-8" higher, then try it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock