Wheel swap by Fieroto300zx
Started on: 01-15-2015 04:18 PM
Replies: 43 (1206 views)
Last post by: Fieroto300zx on 01-22-2015 03:30 PM
Fieroto300zx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am planning on putting the torque star wheels on my 85 gt and they are 16 in rims from a Grand Prix now if I put them on in place of my stock 14 rims will it mess up the speedometer and if so how can I get it right ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use a tire size that results in the exact same overall diameter of the 14" wheel/tire combination.

235/45-16 or 225/45-16 would be the closest matches to the stock diameter. The ride will be harsher and the tires will be wider. It might not look as nice as you would like, depending on the offset and width of the wheels.
Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like a somewhat low profile tire but I also am doing a 3.4 swap and a paint job so I want it to look nice can I change a speed sensor or something so it will look nice and function properly
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes...you can change VSS gears.....(on a Fiero, this function is purely mechanical).

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/124546.html
Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Were could I get some for a 16 in rim at ?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroto300zx:

I would like a somewhat low profile tire but I also am doing a 3.4 swap and a paint job so I want it to look nice can I change a speed sensor or something so it will look nice and function properly

How low a profile tire do you want? If you get tires that are significantly smaller diameter than the overall diameter of the stock tires, the gap between the tire and the wheel well will be that much larger, making it not look nice. The tire sizes I listed will look nice, and have about the same gap as stock wheels would have on your car.

What I meant by it maybe not looking as nice as you would like it to, is that if the wheels don't have the right offset, they may stick out past the fenders, or may not stick out enough close to the fenders. The wrong offset may also affect handling and increase stress on certain parts of the suspension. Changing the speed sensor gear won't fix that.
Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe a 175 60r16 ? Would those be good for the wheel wells of the car and would they help handling ?
Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieroto300zx

58 posts
Member since Jun 2014
How do you post pictures on here and I can just show you the rims I would like to put on it ?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
um..175... no

click on that rectangle at the bottom of the page....Pennock's Image Poster.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-15-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2015 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How do you post pictures on here and I can just show you the rims I would like to put on it ?

You want these I presume:

However they won't fit on a Fiero. The Grand Prix has a 5x115 bolt pattern, while the Fiero is 5x100. You would need to swap hubs to be able to install them. The offset might be ok, but they won't fit on stock Fiero hubs anyway.
Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What size would work then the wheels are from a Grand Prix gt they are the torque star wheels like what tire height ?
PFF
System Bot
Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieroto300zx

58 posts
Member since Jun 2014
I see now thanks I just would like to know were to get a set of wheels that will fit and look nice but not break the bank
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2015 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe a 175 60r16 ? Would those be good for the wheel wells of the car and would they help handling ?

Tire size is unrelated to wheel offset and backspacing. The wheels you're talking about are fairly wide (I think the stock GP tire sizes are 215/60-16 or 225/60-15). 175 would be quite narrow tires for those wheels. You would need a tire that's around the same width. However, the stock GP sizes are quite a bit larger in diameter than the stock 85 GT tires are, so it would throw the speedometer way off, and would make your car feel slower.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2015 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

I see now thanks I just would like to know were to get a set of wheels that will fit and look nice but not break the bank

It depends on what you want, really. I don't know what you think looks nice. I think the stock 86-88 15" lace wheels for the Fiero look nice. Some Subaru and Scion wheels will fit as well. There are many threads on the subject of what other OEM wheels will fit a Fiero, over the years. If you search through the forum, you can get a lot of information on that. Just remember that the Fiero hubs are 5x100, and the width/offset need to be appropriate for the Fiero suspension and body.
Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If i got a set of 16in what kind of dimensions would I need for it except the 5x100 bolt pattern ?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If i got a set of 16in what kind of dimensions would I need for it except the 5x100 bolt pattern ?

You need to know the width of the wheel in inches, and the offset of the wheel in mm.
Offset is the distance from the mounting surface to the center-line of the wheel.

You can search for threads that describe how these numbers will fit (or not).
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do we have a troll? The username doesn't remind anyone of the famous "better car acquired" thread?

His question was mostly answered in the first post, I'm pretty sure if you can't figure out tire size and bolt patterns your not going to figure out a engine swap.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 01-17-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ridiculous size - I don't even think those exist.

General rule of thumb for "plus sizing" is up 1 inch on wheel diameter - down 1 profile size from stock size.

So stock 205/60R-15 becomes 205/55R-16 or 205/50R-17 (front)
Rear 215/60R-15 would be 215/55R-16 and 215/50R-17.
But check manufacturer's tire size charts for overall outside diameter.

As mentioned, Grand Prix won't fit. Look at older Grand AM, Cavalier/Sunfire, PT Cruiser etc.
OEM wheels that fit list: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-075864.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-16-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theres a whole list out there of stock OEM wheels from different cars that are bolt ons for Fiero. Most of them can be bought pretty cheap. Sebring Convertible wheels fit Fiero, and I had a very nice set I took off mine and sold to a friend for $75. They were 16".
Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To jmbishop I'm just trying to learn here I'm I thought this is what the forum was for no need to try to be offensive ? I have owned my 85 since I was 17 I'm 19 now and just trying to learn these things only south you can learn from repair manuals
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your username is suspicious and you fail to grasp things to the point where it seems like your playing dumb on purpose. No need to be offended, just keep posting and if your not a troll you'll be fine but your last post doesn't help, troll or not you'll deny it.

This video gives visuals of what the important measurements are, search for threads, we have offset charts and lists of oem wheels that fit.

PFF
System Bot
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might look at "Show off your custom rims here!" thread in the General chat to see different combinations.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/052912.html

Also the "Tire Rack" has some great tools for determining what fits your car. They have rims and tires. I have bought several set of tires and rims from them. They delivered my rims and tire all mounted to your door.

http://www.tirerack.com
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a set of nice 'star' wheels from Tire Rack brand new delivered for $75 each. To me thats very cheap for a new wheel. If you want cheaper, I still suggest looking at the list, then at the cars those are on and find some locally at a salvage yard. Your likely going to find a set of 4 for less than $150. List includes many Chrysler products (Shadow, Caravan, Voyager, PT Cruiser, K-car bodies), some Volkswagen, lots of other GM (Cavalier, Sunfire/Sunbird, Grand Am, etc). Pretty much any FWD of any of those is a direct fit offset...an inch or so different in/out dont make much difference.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of Subaru and scion wheels fit as well.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much anything that works on a VW New Beetle will be ideal for a Fiero.
My ideal "universal" Fiero wheel would be 17x7, with a 35mm offset. (Just my opinion. Some prefer a 40-42mm offset, which will tuck them under the car just a bit more.)
Tire sizes (if you want to rotate them) would be a 225/45-17. If you want to stagger them, 225s or 235s in the rear, 215s in the front.
That's pretty much guaranteed to keep you out of trouble, and they're common sizes. Available everywhere.
Bolt circle for all Fieros is 5x100.

Subaru wheels also may work, but they generally have more offset (~48-50mm.) They'll tuck waaay under the car, and may interfere with the rear struts, depending on width and offset. Factory Subaru (and Toyota/Scion) wheels will also need to have the centerbore enlarged. They are both smaller than the Fiero's 57mm centerbore.)

This info is not applicable to the front of an 88, but most of us know that already.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-17-2015).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pep boys is now selling discontinued NICE 5 spoke polished wheels for $43 each. proline 333 & 950
Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So a 35 to 42 offset is what I'm looking for right I found a nice set of 5x100 16 with a 40 offset
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grand Ams had the same bolt pattern as the Fiero and I believe the torque star wheels were available on the later model Grand Ams. I'm not sure if the late models were 5 x 100 bolt pattern, though.

The 40 mm offset will fit nicely. I'm running American Racing Estrellas on one car and MSR 105 on another. Both are 40 mm offset and they fill the wheel wells very well. I also have a set of Pacer wheels that are the same offset and they fit well, also.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 01-18-2015).]

Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would you guys recommend the eibach 1 inch lowering springs ? Do they make the handleing a lot better I mean they are $300 I don't wanna spend the money on them if they are not good
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero handling is already among the best stock cars out there. For street use, you wont it feel much different, but may improve the looks if you like it lower. Lots of used the Eibachs. You will have to have a new 4 wheel alignment. To me it was never worth the bang for my buck functionally. It does look better lower to fill up the tops of the fenderwells.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-19-2015).]

Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will probably just keep it stock then and a unrelated question will the fiero gt stock exhaust fit on a 3.4 l ?
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will probably just keep it stock then and a unrelated question will the fiero gt stock exhaust fit on a 3.4 l ?

Please start new threads for totally unrelated questions. Having a thread about wheels come back to the top, but everyone is not talking about exhaust in it, is not helpful to others looking for the same information. Thanks.

The manifolds will bolt to the heads on the Camaro/Firebird 3.4L. You'll need different manifolds for the DOHC 3.4, and I believe for the 3400 as well.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Grand Ams had the same bolt pattern as the Fiero

Only thu 1998.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I just looked up some Grand Am wheels and they were 5 x 115. I don't know what year they changed from the 5 x 100 pattern, so I looked it up. It looks like the Grand Am and the Vibe were the only Pontiacs that shared the bolt pattern with the Fiero.
http://www.discountedwheelw...attern_Reference.cfm
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2015 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Yeah, I just looked up some Grand Am wheels and they were 5 x 115. I don't know what year they changed from the 5 x 100 pattern, so I looked it up. It looks like the Grand Am and the Vibe were the only Pontiacs that shared the bolt pattern with the Fiero.
http://www.discountedwheelw...attern_Reference.cfm

And the J-body Sunbird/Sunfire.
Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is different In a 88's front end some one mentioned it and I might buy a 88 with a blown motor for my swap so I can still drive my 85 ?
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 suspension will not bolt into the front, cutting and welding is required. The rear of a 88 where bigger improvements where made will swap in easier, the cradle bolts in but the tops of the struts are closer together so you have to run coilovers and modify the Strut towers.

Originally posted by dobey:

Please start new threads for totally unrelated questions. Having a thread about wheels come back to the top, but everyone is not talking about exhaust in it, is not helpful to others looking for the same information. Thanks.

I still am not convinced he's not a troll.
Fieroto300zx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroto300zxSend a Private Message to Fieroto300zxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there no way I can convince you that I seriously own a fiero and that I am not a "troll" lol I'm just trying to learn so I can do my own swaps and just have a nice fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is there no way I can convince you that I seriously own a fiero and that I am not a "troll" lol I'm just trying to learn so I can do my own swaps and just have a nice fiero

I'd say dont worry about it, keep being yourself, if legit it will show. Have pics of your project?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock