How I Stopped Belt Squeal by Ventura
Started on: 01-04-2015 08:22 PM
Replies: 15 (915 views)
Last post by: weaselbeak on 03-28-2017 09:09 PM
Ventura

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After years of belt squealing and ruined belts on my '84, I finally got fed up and found a fix for it. I had already upgraded to the CS130 alternator which made little to no difference from the old 94 amp SI alternator.

The wire that supplies power to the ignition switch is not large enough to handle the current needed by the car's electrical system. Bypassing the C500 connector didn't help.

I added another fusible link and ran an extra 10ga wire to the 2 red wires going into the ignition switch. No more belt squealing.

Originally, the alternator wire from the switch which senses voltage, was showing low voltage which made the alternator field draw more amps in an attempt to generate more power. It basically turned the alternator into an electric brake which burned up belts.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Great catch!
I would have been looking into accessory alignment and shims.
Ron
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very good! I've been having this problem and noticing that when the belt squeals there is little or no charging. I knew there had to be something going on besides the wet belt slipping. You offer a very elegant solution. Thank you!

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 03-28-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84 use different alt wiring...
Iffy sense wire can cause alt problems on any car.
See my Cave, Alternator Sense

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Ventura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before I added the extra wire, I hated driving the car at night. I would pull up to a stop light with the headlights on and maybe the heater fan turned on, not to mention dreading the thought of the cooling fan turning on. I'd sit there and watch the voltmeter drop to 11 volts and then listen to the belt squeal and burn up.

Since I added the wire, it's an entirely different car. It idles at 600 rpm's, auto trans in gear, and stays at 14 volts.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the Rodney Dickman idler pulley a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly for the first week, but now my belt it back to squealing uncontrolably.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by huracan2015:

I bought the Rodney Dickman idler pulley a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly for the first week, but now my belt it back to squealing uncontrolably.

Rodney's idler pulley is not for the duke. (I love Rodney's products, but I went with Dodgerunner's auto-tensioner for my 2.8 powered Fiero.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-05-2015).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Be sure to clean the pulleys of all dirt and old rubber or the belt will slip and squeal no matter what you do. Also, be sure you are using a top quality belt not the second line belts sold by many chain auto part suppliers. My personal choices are (1) Goodyear Gator-back) , Gates then Dayco.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I have the V6, and I used the belt he supplied
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No I have the V6...

Oh, we gathered that... however the original poster was talking about his 4-banger.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also added a larger wire to the alt.(prob a 4 gauge) not to help squealing, but (as I found out) A good test to see if your alt wire is too small, turn everything on, lights A/C etc, and feel the alt wire. if it gets hot, it is too small.

But good find on the squealing.

Originally posted by Patrick:

I went with Dodgerunner's auto-tensioner for my 2.8 powered Fiero.)

I have installed Dodgerunner's auto-tensioner for a customer before, it is very well designed. Highly recommended.
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've sold several hundred of these V-6 2.8 idler kits thru the years. Have not had much of any complaints on them. You should take a good look at it and try to see what the problem might be?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a bad pressure cap on the thermostat housing that would drip enough to get the belt moist.
Replaced the cap, no more squeal with the OEM setup.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 03-28-2017).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think most peoples belts squeal because the belt isn't tight or doesn't have enough pulley surface area or is a poor belt, such as at start up or in rain / dew, the tensioner kit can fix that.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-28-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I think most peoples belts squeal because the belt isn't tight or doesn't have enough pulley surface area or is a poor belt, such as at start up or in rain / dew, the tensioner kit can fix that.

There is no "tensioner kit" for an '84.

Originally posted by Ventura:

After years of belt squealing and ruined belts on my '84...

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Belt quality counts. Mine squealed every time the air was a bit moist, even a light rain. A Gates belt took care of it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock