Heater Temperature by bomluuk
Started on: 01-02-2015 03:49 PM
Replies: 12 (342 views)
Last post by: HarryT on 01-06-2015 12:02 AM
bomluuk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone happen to know how hot the heater blows? My heater doesn't work very well. 86 GT 1998 3800 sc.
With the vent on:
67 degrees ambient in the car
77 deg at vent by door
80 deg at center vent

with heater on:
76 deg at vent by door

coolant temp was 185 deg
temperature in the garage was 44 deg.

The car would never overheat, but would get hot in the summer, so I'm not sure if there is some other plumbing issue.
I've burped the coolant. I've read many threads on how to add coolant to a 3800 swap with 3800 t-stat and followed the instructions.

Edit: Heater core is fairly new as well.

[This message has been edited by bomluuk (edited 01-02-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First See my Cave, Heater
cover items that affect all engines.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

First See my Cave, Heater
cover items that affect all engines.

Thanks, I've read it already. Thats part of the reasons I'm asking specific questions.

[This message has been edited by bomluuk (edited 01-02-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The heater core uses coolant at operating temperature.....so 220*F is typical. If it is not flowing well, you get less heat. Yours may be 90% blocked either by an air bubble or something solid.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-02-2015).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the cable from the HVAC control head to the lever on the plenum under the dash. The lever/cable controls the positioning of the 'BLEND' door.
Sometimes the clamp loosens and the door will not close completely.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:
Check the cable from the HVAC control head to the lever on the plenum under the dash. The lever/cable controls the positioning of the 'BLEND' door.
Sometimes the clamp loosens and the door will not close completely.

that and/or heater/AC plenum is full of leaves etc blocking air flow.
That can cause fires because the control resistors gets very hot.
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a heater issue with my '86 GT with 3800SC. The heater hoses were not routed properly. Both were connected to coolant return circuits so my coolant flow was basically nonexistent. Got them hooked up right and now blows hot air on heat.
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine ran like yours, until I noticed a small leak in the radiator, which caused air getting into the system. I replaced the radiator, hoses, water pump and heater core (they were all so cheap, so may as well get them all at once). I then had mine to 95* from the center vents, at full blast. It ran around 92* on the 3rd fan speed. This is with Vent at full hot.

After that, I had a small leak develop from the radiator to overfill tank hose (it was a cheap Prestone hose), putting an air bubble back into the system, so the heater ran cooler. Replaced it with a much beefier hose and it's back to 95*. Get rid of the air bubbles in the system and it should be okay again.

I followed Orgre's instructions of burping the coolant system, but leaving the thermostat in did not work for me. I removed the thermostat during the process, while the car was started up cold, so the coolant could circulate and it worked.

PS. I was wondering if I could do better than 95*, if anyone knows? Just curious

[This message has been edited by MacGyversMullet (edited 01-03-2015).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

I had a heater issue with my '86 GT with 3800SC. The heater hoses were not routed properly. Both were connected to coolant return circuits so my coolant flow was basically nonexistent. Got them hooked up right and now blows hot air on heat.

Also a possibility....
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Also a possibility....

And your input helped me to repair the incorrect routing. Thanks again!
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

Are you using a Fiero t-stat or a 3800 t-stat?
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bomluuk:

Are you using a Fiero t-stat or a 3800 t-stat?

I guess that you could say both. The 3800 thermostat and thermo housing are still on the engine. From that housing a short section of radiator hose connects to a modified Fiero thermostat housing, however, there is no thermostat in that modified housing. It just provides a filler location that it higher than the rest of the cooling system. FYI, I also installed an electric temperature gauge by inserting the sending unit into the small threaded opening on top of the 3800 thermo housing. Works great.
HarryT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryTSend a Private Message to HarryTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not had the Fiero out for a while but for what it is worth my Tuarus was putting out 143 Deg. on the way home tonight from the dash.
Harry

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock