L67 swap( getting the basics) by RivetTheMasses
Started on: 12-27-2014 06:44 PM
Replies: 4 (269 views)
Last post by: nosrac on 12-27-2014 09:49 PM
RivetTheMasses

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RivetTheMassesSend a Private Message to RivetTheMassesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright this is my second post on this forum, thanks for help on the last one guys and gals.

I'm planning a L67 swap sometime in 2015, my cousin and I are going to do the wrenchwork. Him with moderate experience , myself with minimal.
First major question:does the 88 formula come with an optional manual trans? I have yet to see one, and am debating on using the formula for the swap.
Second major question: which fiero trans is strongest? Muncie 4 speed or the getrag 5 speed(282)?
Third major question: what performance upgrades are available for the L67? We will be completely tearing down and rebuilding the motor, so any and all suggestions are welcomed.
Fourth major question: Will the frame need to be reinforced?
Fifth major question: what will all need to be custom fabricated? Will the exhaust need to be True dual or single? Etc.

If I made a mortal error somehow, in the wrong category or something similar,you have my apologies. I currently own my second 85 SE, and I love my little devil, my main purpose of the swap is to prove people wrong that the fiero is a waste of time and energy, and embarrass the idiots who think their v8 mustangs, chargers and camaros own the streets. Any suggestions are welcomed related to the swap, and yes I am set on the L67, so don't suggest other motors please. Thanks in advance!

------------------
RTM

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Formula has a Manual trans.
The Fiero Getrag 5 speed is stronger than 4 speed. However, there are stronger options. The Getrag F23 5 speed or Getrag F40 6 speed.
Go to zzperformance.com for performance options. Turbo is the best option for a 9 or 10 sec car. If you are staying SC then CAM, Intercooler, Gen V M90, N* TB, Heads, Headers, custom Tune for 11.5 sec quarter mile. You can purchase all swap parts from vendors but may have to do a little fabrication on the exhaust or intake tubes for the turbo.
The frame is fine but there are some cradle reiforcements that will help.

Originally posted by RivetTheMasses:

Alright this is my second post on this forum, thanks for help on the last one guys and gals.

I'm planning a L67 swap sometime in 2015, my cousin and I are going to do the wrenchwork. Him with moderate experience , myself with minimal.
First major question:does the 88 formula come with an optional manual trans? I have yet to see one, and am debating on using the formula for the swap.
Second major question: which fiero trans is strongest? Muncie 4 speed or the getrag 5 speed(282)?
Third major question: what performance upgrades are available for the L67? We will be completely tearing down and rebuilding the motor, so any and all suggestions are welcomed.
Fourth major question: Will the frame need to be reinforced?
Fifth major question: what will all need to be custom fabricated? Will the exhaust need to be True dual or single? Etc.

If I made a mortal error somehow, in the wrong category or something similar,you have my apologies. I currently own my second 85 SE, and I love my little devil, my main purpose of the swap is to prove people wrong that the fiero is a waste of time and energy, and embarrass the idiots who think their v8 mustangs, chargers and camaros own the streets. Any suggestions are welcomed related to the swap, and yes I am set on the L67, so don't suggest other motors please. Thanks in advance!

RivetTheMasses

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RivetTheMassesSend a Private Message to RivetTheMassesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the f23/L67 swap, what clutch would I have to get? Spec stage 3+, but for what specific vehicle? I'm pretty sure they don't have ones made for custom swaps. As for the f23, isn't it used in the cobalt as well as the cavieler? Would it matter which vehicle I pull it from?
RivetTheMasses

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RivetTheMassesSend a Private Message to RivetTheMassesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RivetTheMasses

52 posts
Member since Sep 2014
I'm planning on going turbo eventually, but I'd rather rock out with the SC for the first year or two.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure on the clutch model but there is a specific spec model used. There are quite a few people who swaped the L67/F23 and can tell you the correct parts to get.
The f23 trans have two diifferent bellhousings you need to get the right one. However the internals are directly interchangable and you can re-use your Fiero axles. Some have purchased both types and then swapped bellhousing as one has better gear ratios.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock