concentric rings by Tweeder
Started on: 12-24-2014 05:33 PM
Replies: 11 (475 views)
Last post by: jb1 on 12-25-2014 04:41 PM
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a difference from the from to rear concentric rings? The ones on my front look different but that might be due to heat warpage. I had a calliper sleaze on me a couple years ago and had it in the shop where they replaced the whole front brakes as well as bearings. They never said anything bout the rings, so I have the front end apart to lower it and I would rather put on two new front ones for now till I do a brake upgrade.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All hub centers are the same.
Maybe they replaced a ring during the repair?
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mcguiver3

773 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Clarification.
A stock wheel did not need rings.
You must have aftermarket rims and they need rings that fit the Fiero hub and the wheels that were purchased.
So you may have different wheels front and rear that may require different rings?
If you need new rings you will have to measure for what your wheel bore centers require.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

All hub centers are the same.
Maybe they replaced a ring during the repair?

I don't think so, they both look equally melted and squished. I have no vibrations or anything like that, just don't like the looks. Anyone know where to buy them? I see a lot out there for specific brake upgrades.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tweeder

1026 posts
Member since Aug 2012

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

Clarification.
A stock wheel did not need rings.
You must have aftermarket rims and they need rings that fit the Fiero hub and the wheels that were purchased.
So you may have different wheels front and rear that may require different rings?
If you need new rings you will have to measure for what your wheel bore centers require.

Yes they are aftermarket rims, sorry forgot to specify that. They look to be the same rims front to rear, I'll switch them and see then I'll measure one of the good rear ones and order that size. Thanks

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 12-24-2014).]

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes front and rear are different... It has been awhile since I bought mine bit the 2 were different .. seems like it was the tapper on the rear was different. Contact snapperhead, he is who I bought mine from

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 12-24-2014).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are speaking about concentric rings for the wheels, then they are the same front/rear across all years of Fieros.

If you are speaking about concentric rings for brake rotors, then the 84-87 rear and front/rear of the 88s are the same, but the 84-87 fronts will be thicker. The reason for this is the rear wheel bearings and 88 front wheel bearings have 2 pilot ODs, the wheel pilot and rotor pilot, with the rotor pilot being about 1mm larger in diameter. Since the 84-87 front hub has a built in rotor, it only has the wheel pilot, so when you turn off the stock rotor surface and slide a new rotor over it, it must center on the wheel pilot vs. the rotor pilot... so you need a different size concentric ring on the front of the 84-87s.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the States, Big 10 or Tires Plus sells the wheel centering rings that allow fitting aftermarket rims onto the hubs. Tire Rack also has or had them. If you have something that's squished, it isn't fitting properly.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 12-24-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the front one.

------------------

gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got mine on eBay. Aluminum ... not plastic. The vendor had many different combos of ID/OD rings available.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If those go into the center of the custom rims and fit over the center of the hub, they look to have been the wrong dimension and were distorted by torquing the lugs down with an impact and crushing the ring into the wheel. My rings are the same diameter inside to fit on the shoulder of the center hub and the outside is a larger diameter to fit into the back of the rim.

http://projectlancer.net/index.php?showtopic=16883
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If you are speaking about concentric rings for the wheels, then they are the same front/rear across all years of Fieros.

If you are speaking about concentric rings for brake rotors, then the 84-87 rear and front/rear of the 88s are the same, but the 84-87 fronts will be thicker. The reason for this is the rear wheel bearings and 88 front wheel bearings have 2 pilot ODs, the wheel pilot and rotor pilot, with the rotor pilot being about 1mm larger in diameter. Since the 84-87 front hub has a built in rotor, it only has the wheel pilot, so when you turn off the stock rotor surface and slide a new rotor over it, it must center on the wheel pilot vs. the rotor pilot... so you need a different size concentric ring on the front of the 84-87s.

Ok , glad you posted this. Mine were different because I bought ones for brake swap, not for the wheels...

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay