Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Clutch problem from hell. Anyone have any ideas? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Clutch problem from hell. Anyone have any ideas? by CKDrums
Started on: 12-03-2014 07:45 PM
Replies: 42 (978 views)
Last post by: CKDrums on 02-01-2015 02:10 PM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read your numbers as 2.75 which equals 2 3/4 inches. That would be larger than 2.685 which is just slightly more than 2 11/16. That's the measurement on the outer rounded portion of the bearing. 2.668 inches is the measurement on the flat area where the forks rest. 2.668 converts to a hair over 2 21/32. So, you see, you have something with a span of 2 3/4 inches trying to hold something that's 2 11/16 inches.
IP: Logged
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12817 posts
Member since Jan 2002
There's another critical dimension I hadn't thought about. Look at my last picture and notice the two small tabs. Those must be wide enough to catch the bearing forks when you release the clutch. If they aren't, the fork will pull away from the bearing as soon as the pressure is released, allowing the bearing to rotate so that the fork is sitting behind it. On my bearing they measure 2.859, which is certainly wide enough to function as they should with the span of your forks, but if the bearing housing rotates to the point that those tabs aren't behind the forks, then the bearing won't be retained in the forks.
CKDrums

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To everyone that helped, here is the update. The shop replaced the flywheel with an eBay resurfaced flywheel (Fiero store was out) I purchased 3 flywheel shims and the shop used the thickest .089. They slightly bent the clutch fork forks inward to hold the TOB a little more snug. Put it all back together and everything seems to be functioning great. Granted everything seemed fixed 2 times before and a few miles later it happened again. But I will say the clutch pedal feels different and I had no problems flowing threw the gears on my nervous 10 mile drive home from the shop threw Myrtle Beach to the Inlet (50-60 shifts) My fingers are crossed that my year long battle with this problem is over. Thank you to everyone that helped this newish member out. I really really appreciate it. I hope this thread will now fade away never to return.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock