Started on: 11-05-2014 01:27 PM
Replies: 18 (531 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 11-10-2014 06:14 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I took the 86 GT in to the shop because I was getting a loud noise out of the exhaust. I wasn't sure if it was the cat or the muffler. Shop says the muffler baffles are collapsed, and the cat is fine. However, he cannot find a source for the muffler. Where do you guys find a muffler for our cars when needed? Please don't say The Fiero Store is the only option, because they only sell the whole setup and that's over $300. So tell me, where do you get your mufflers?

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 11-09-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rock Auto has the Walker cat back exhaust. You might have to look it up by app on the walker sight and then check Rock via 'part number' for pricing. A stand alone only oem muffler does not exist in the standard aftermarket.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Rock Auto has the Walker cat back exhaust. You might have to look it up by app on the walker sight and then check Rock via 'part number' for pricing. A stand alone only oem muffler does not exist in the standard aftermarket.

$179 http://www.rockauto.com/cat...249107,parttype,5872

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-05-2014).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Walker 40094 Quiet-Flow Stainless Steel Muffler

The same system as Rock Auto sells is $205 on Amazon.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

$179 http://www.rockauto.com/cat...249107,parttype,5872

Thanks to all that replied, but after failing to get a muffler shop to use some other muffler, for another car, and adapt it to the Fiero, I will go with this Rock Auto one, and then pay the muffler shop to weld it in. Good news is that when I go to Rock Auto, it shows me a price of $156 instead of $179 like posted above. So after all that, it won't be too much more than I was expecting to begin with.

Jim

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have the equipment (jackstands), you could install it yourself
I do like the Fiero exhaust system... as it is easy to work on.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
unfortunately, wait until you add shipping to know your total cost. adds quite a bit to the cost. But Oreilly's is $302 and autozone is $298
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

unfortunately, wait until you add shipping to know your total cost. adds quite a bit to the cost. But Oreilly's is $302 and autozone is $298

Well funny you should say this, because a friend found one at Summit racing for $172, and it was free shipping, even on large items. it's on the way to our front door.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

If you have the equipment (jackstands), you could install it yourself
I do like the Fiero exhaust system... as it is easy to work on.

Well it does have to be welded where the pipe meets the cat. I have a welder, and I am going to attempt to weld it myself. I am not sure if the tips are welded on or not, but I will attempt that also. Wish me luck.

Jim

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I clamped it in place, dropped it back down and welded it. On a factory system the tips are not welded on.

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Well it does have to be welded where the pipe meets the cat. I have a welder, and I am going to attempt to weld it myself. I am not sure if the tips are welded on or not, but I will attempt that also. Wish me luck.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 11-05-2014).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a Jones Full Boar (Quiet Tone). Small size (13"), crossover (single in, dual out). Quite inexpensive ($76) and nice sound (running with my 4.9L swap).

Specifically, I used: Q414E - 2.5" X 2.5" OFFSET/DUAL - 13" BODY X 18.5" OVERALL LENGTH

http://www.jonesexhaust.com/

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 11-05-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I clamped it in place, dropped it back down and welded it. On a factory system the tips are not welded on.

You forgot to wish me luck.

Jim

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You forgot to wish me luck.

Jim

Luck? Nah... I am sure you can do it!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Luck? Nah... I am sure you can do it!

You were right, I did it. I have welded steel. It's a little sloppy, but I became more comfortable as it went. I was beginning to get a nice looking, caulk like, flow on parts of it. I actually wish I had more to weld, so I could practice more. This is something that has always intimidated me. Previous practice attempts resulted in splatter or holes. I ran out of daylight and didn't finish putting on the tips, but the rest of the exhaust is in and it sounds real nice.

Jim

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You were right, I did it. I have welded steel. It's a little sloppy, but I became more comfortable as it went. I was beginning to get a nice looking, caulk like, flow on parts of it. I actually wish I had more to weld, so I could practice more. This is something that has always intimidated me. Previous practice attempts resulted in splatter or holes. I ran out of daylight and didn't finish putting on the tips, but the rest of the exhaust is in and it sounds real nice.

Jim

Buy a 36" long straight exhaust pipe, or go cut one out of a car at Pick & Pull. Cut it down to a bunch of short lengths, and weld them back together, for practice.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I do have the old exhaust system I could destroy with practice.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent. I don't recommend welding the tips on, as the clamps do just fine. If you do weld, just spot weld... this way you can adjust them if needed and not have to cut them off.

Jim

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Well I do have the old exhaust system I could destroy with practice.

I welded up an exhaust system on my '73 IHC pickup. The thing was full of holes and I didn't even knew if it ran correctly. So I pulled the y-pipe down, patched it up with some old exhaust pipe from another truck and it has been holding for 2 years. Talk about thin metal... some of it was pretty bad, but I made it work just using flux core wire.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 11-10-2014).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Excellent. I don't recommend welding the tips on, as the clamps do just fine. If you do weld, just spot weld... this way you can adjust them if needed and not have to cut them off.

Exactly what I did. I could not get the old tips to fit in the new exhaust. So I put a slit in the end of the tips so I could squeeze them enough to insert them. After that I put a single tack, and then clamped them down.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 11-11-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock