Bought an 85 Gt have a question? by Thunder1295
Started on: 11-02-2014 05:44 AM
Replies: 5 (229 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 11-02-2014 09:31 AM
Thunder1295

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunder1295Send a Private Message to Thunder1295Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone one, I owned 2 Fiero's back in the 80's, had a 1984 SE that I put over 300,000 clicks on, traded it in for an 88 with the 4 banger in it, reason like the 5 speed found
the 4 speed always revving high on the highway, I ended up putting 430 clicks on the iron duke and never touching the motor. Anyways my question is on this 85 GT with the V6 in it there are 2 pipes coming out of the trunk going into the engine compartment, no idea what that can be, maybe someone can can explain what they are.
Picking her up today but have to fix the tranny line under the drivers door first, leaking big time.
Thxs for the help and looking forward to reliving a bit of my passed and what better way then starting with a Fiero.
Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those two pipes coming out of the trunk are for the alternator and coil cooling fan.
If you take out the trunk carpet you will see exactly where they go

Kinda pointless on any other motor, I believe only the 86's and 87's had them.
Removed them from my 86 SE for my 3800 swap
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you are talking about the cooler pipes that come from the fan inside the trunk compartment on the right side.
It is under the carpet liner. It is there to supply cool air that is directed to the alternator and the coil.
Evidently there was a heat issue with the V6 and that was the remedy.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those two pipes direct air at the ignition coil and to some degree, the distributor and it's Ignition Control Module (ICM). The other directs air at the alternator. The alternator has a metal shield designed to help catch the air and direct it into the back of the alternator.

The associated blower motor is located inside the passenger fender. It can be accessed by pulling the trunk carpet in the far upper right of the trunk. While you're looking at the fan motor, inspect the seal where it attaches to the duct work. Over the years it deteriorates. You may want to wrap it with some duct or gorilla tape.

The blower only works under 2 conditions. Any time the AC system is operating, the blower motor will run. Any time the front cooling fan comes on, the blower motor will run. The front cooling fan can be activated either by pressing one of the AC buttons or when the engine coolant temperature reaches 235 degrees.

So, if you want to test the blower for operation, start the engine and press either of the AC buttons. Put your hand in front of the tube and feel for air. This system was present only on the 85-87 V6 equipped cars. By 88 there were some changes made that gave them the impression the system was no longer needed. Those changes being that they moved the exhaust crossover pipe further to the left and away from the coil and distributor and they put a heat shield around it. They also changed the alternator.

Welcome back to Fieros. Hope you enjoy this one as much as you did your first.

Edit: Mcguiver and DK beat me while I was making a pot of coffee.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-02-2014).]

Thunder1295

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunder1295Send a Private Message to Thunder1295Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thxs guys, that answered my question, now to go get her and make it back home..
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunder1295:

Thxs guys, that answered my question, now to go get her and make it back home..

Welcome to the Forum! I hope your car makes the trip!

We try to avoid posting the same issue in two different forums. Confusion can take over quickly when you try to look up what comments were with what thread.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock