Need help with '86 clutch master cylinder selection from Rodneys by possumlips
Started on: 10-30-2014 01:52 PM
Replies: 7 (339 views)
Last post by: possumlips on 10-31-2014 11:32 AM
possumlips

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for possumlipsSend a Private Message to possumlipsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My clutch was weak so I thought it would be a good time to change out my clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder and get a new set from Rodneys Dickman. The problem I ran into was with ordering the clutch master. Its a '86 so it could be one of 4 variations. 1st it has the fluid line in the front of the reservoir so I know I need the LATE style. This is were is gets a little confusing, the banjo size. According to the pics shown at R.D.'s,
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...roducts_id=280{8}191 I need either a early large pin sized banjo or a late style which is smaller in diameter. My clutch pedal looks like neither clutch pins shown.No couter pin hole, and with a grove that a black bushing inside the banjo slides on. I measured the clutch pin with a digital caliper and it reads .42 inches/10.7mm o.d. The banjo opening reads .49 inches/12.5mm i.d.
I'm leaning towards the late style cylinder with the large banjo? Pics below...

My clutch pin...

Rodneys clutch pins early '84-86 bottom,late models '86-'88 top one...

My clutch master cylinder...

[This message has been edited by possumlips (edited 10-30-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
E-mail Rodney directly at rodney@rodneydickman.com - he will be able to help you better than anyone else here.

If you can take measurements as well, I'm sure that will help him figure out which one you need.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone'
(soon to be back on the road after a 6 year rest)

possumlips

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for possumlipsSend a Private Message to possumlipsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

E-mail Rodney directly at rodney@rodneydickman.com - he will be able to help you better than anyone else here.

If you can take measurements as well, I'm sure that will help him figure out which one you need.

Did that right after I posted but I thought I'd leave up this just for added measure.thanks.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never (that I can remember) seen that type of clutch pedal in a Fiero. Maybe it is from a FWD car? If so that might explain why the FS has replacement pedals yet. Maybe GM had a lot of FWD pedals left over? I always wonder if the FS is ever going to run out or do they have them made and will never run out. That is why I have not worked on my repair kit to rebuild old clutch pedals. As long as the FS has the new clutch pedals it is not worth it. But if they run out I'll get my rebuild kit in stock. I have it all designed and some prototype parts made. Would not take a lot to finish it up.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

possumlips

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for possumlipsSend a Private Message to possumlipsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I have never (that I can remember) seen that type of clutch pedal in a Fiero. Maybe it is from a FWD car? If so that might explain why the FS has replacement pedals yet. Maybe GM had a lot of FWD pedals left over? I always wonder if the FS is ever going to run out or do they have them made and will never run out. That is why I have not worked on my repair kit to rebuild old clutch pedals. As long as the FS has the new clutch pedals it is not worth it. But if they run out I'll get my rebuild kit in stock. I have it all designed and some prototype parts made. Would not take a lot to finish it up.

I'd hate to take the assembly off and grind off the pin and get your adapter but I may have to. diameter I posted of the pin were no help? remember, there was a black plastic bushing I removed that took up some slack.thanks.

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Possibly my late style small pin master would work. Possibly the bushing you have in your master might swap over to my banjo?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

possumlips

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for possumlipsSend a Private Message to possumlipsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the car in '94 and looked 100% factory but I'm the 3rd owner. Here's some more pics. Let me know if I need to measure something or whatever. My order will be placed as soon as we figure this thing out. Forgot to mention, if need be I have a '87 & '88 2.5 fiero's with manual trannys I could part out. Maybe i could change out the assembly?Thanks for the help!....jesse

possumlips

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for possumlipsSend a Private Message to possumlipsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Possibly my late style small pin master would work. Possibly the bushing you have in your master might swap over to my banjo?

Could I drill out the hole if needed on the smaller late style pin? Better to make one bigger than try to fill the slack with a bushing on the earlier model right?

[This message has been edited by possumlips (edited 10-31-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock