Cold start by RyanFrisk8
Started on: 10-23-2014 03:12 PM
Replies: 14 (145 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 10-27-2014 09:38 AM
RyanFrisk8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanFrisk8Send a Private Message to RyanFrisk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced the 2.8v6 in my 86 fiero SE. Is there any tricks to getting it started?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little more detail would help.....is the engine rebuilt? Are there any critical new parts? The hope is that you just turn the key....
RyanFrisk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanFrisk8Send a Private Message to RyanFrisk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock engine I just put it in and I turn the key but it doesn't turn over. I can hear the starter.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you know about your new engine? There is a little clutch in the starter that is supposed to engage the flywheel when the starter spins. It may be stuck, or it may be slipping.
RyanFrisk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanFrisk8Send a Private Message to RyanFrisk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The belts spin and everything though
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RyanFrisk8:

The belts spin and everything though

OK.. I think you are telling me that the starter is turning the engine over, but the engine will not run...

Does the tachometer go up a little when you crank the engine? or does it just sit on the peg?
RyanFrisk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanFrisk8Send a Private Message to RyanFrisk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sits on the peg but i don't know if the tach. Works
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did it work before you changed the engine?
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you replace the engine yourself or did you have someone else replace it for you?
RyanFrisk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanFrisk8Send a Private Message to RyanFrisk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put it in myself. Starter worked before
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RyanFrisk8:

I put it in myself. Starter worked before

I was asking about the tachometer.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we gather you replaced the 2.8 V6 with Another 2.8V6 ? from what you just "said", the "Starter" still works. the engine is" turning over" (spinning), so your problem has nothing to do with the starter. you should be looking for: Does the distributor send spark to the plugs ? Are the fuel injectors supplying fuel to the cylinders ?
RyanFrisk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanFrisk8Send a Private Message to RyanFrisk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Timing was totally backwards, thanks everyone who replied!
RyanFrisk8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanFrisk8Send a Private Message to RyanFrisk8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RyanFrisk8

19 posts
Member since Oct 2014
*firing order
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the tach doesn't move while cranking you're probably not getting spark. If that's the case it's likely a bad connection to the ICM or coil or a bad ICM, pickup coil, or coil. The ICM can be tested for free by O'reilly's, Autozone, or other parts stores. If the parts are good the connections may be loose. Look for brittle, broken insulation on the wires. You can get new pigtails and spice them in using solder and heat shrink. Also check to make sure all your grounds are connected and have good contact to bare metal. When you get the tach moving while cranking you'll probably get some kind of running.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock