1988 Centric Brake Caliper Hardware by Shho13
Started on: 10-05-2014 07:18 PM
Replies: 9 (248 views)
Last post by: Formula88 on 10-06-2014 10:16 PM
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They aren't the right length. The pins that go through the brake pads from the bridge to the caliper assembly are too short for the cotter pins to slide through the hole. The pins are physically long enough, but the little hole that the cotter pin slides through are off their mark. I spent nearly 7 hours last night/this morning with a hand file on the calipers to grind off the extra 1/16 of metal to allow the cotter pins to slide through. If it didn't take me till almost 5 AM to finish I would have at least used power tools to help file down the calipers. Didn't want to wake the neighbors, and I was going to a car show this morning so they had to get done ASAP.

This wasn't just a one off defective set either! Four different sets of caliper hardware, meaning all 8 pins all were too short. Anyone else have this problem with them? What is a better product for next time or to save others this nightmare?

I rebuilt my whole brake system with Centric parts, their rebuilt calipers are good, their brake hoses are good, but beware of the pins!!!

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 10-05-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cotter pins? I've reworked the brakes on at least two different 88s, and have never used a cotter pin.
Do you have pics?
Camel

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yuck... Do you recall that part number? Was it 11762044 ?
Camel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Camel

381 posts
Member since Jul 2009
The part number mentioned above lists like this:

88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea I had the same problem too---I used the pins as a punch to remove the OE style pins

------------------
Pat Jones

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Camel:

The part number mentioned above lists like this:

Yep, those are them! Man, I hate aftermarket parts sometimes...
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a high grade bolt and locking nut (not nylon) when I had to replace a pin.

FYI.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I used a high grade bolt and locking nut (not nylon) when I had to replace a pin.

FYI.

A really long bolt between the bridge and the caliper? That's a lot more secure than that pin... I may have to do that... Have any pictures of it?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I don't have the car any more, but yup, just a long bolt. I may had to cut the bolt to length. I picked it up at the local NAPA, but any good fastener place should have one. I used a friction locking nut. Never had a problem with that setup.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock