Started on: 10-02-2014 12:24 PM
Replies: 17 (933 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 10-12-2014 04:54 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's an old trick that hasn't been posted in a while but since I had to replace some tail light bulbs on one of my project cars, I thought that it would be a good time to share this tip again.
Just replace the taillight/ stop light bulbs with brighter direct fit #2357 bulbs available almost anywhere. They seem to be quite a bit brighter than the OEM specified #2057 bulbs.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They cant get to hot can they?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

They cant get too hot can they?

They do use a bit more wattage but its only like .1 amp more. Haven't experienced any ill effects in three years on one of my Fieros. The 2357's are std incandescent bulbs and not Halogen or Xenon units. I believe that they are safe to use.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-02-2014).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely won't hurt lamps w/ a bit more power.

Spec and testing NEW 2057 vs 2357 are in my cave...
Sorry but 2357 not much, if any, brighter that you can see when behind red lenses. (I only have notch back) A light meter can see a bit brighter on brake/turn side of bulb.
Might help turn filament more when use amber lenses.

See a big change then Old bulbs likely have problems.

The reflector have "faded" over time. Take apart, clean and repaint with spray chrome.

See my Cave, Lighbulbs

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-02-2014).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney used to sell brighter lamps for Fieros. I bought a set many years ago and installed them in my 88 GT.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Likely won't hurt lamps w/ a bit more power.

Spec and testing NEW 2057 vs 2357 are in my cave...
Sorry but 2357 not much, if any, brighter that you can see when behind red lenses. (I only have notch back) A light meter can see a bit brighter on brake/turn side of bulb.
Might help turn filament more when use amber lenses.

See a big change then Old bulbs likely have problems.

The reflector have "faded" over time. Take apart, clean and repaint with spray chrome.

See my Cave, Lighbulbs

The specs seem to say differently about brightness and so do my eyes.
2057 low 2 candlepower high 32 candlepower
2357 low 3 candlepower high 40 candlepower.

2057 vs 2357

low 50% improvement in brightness , that's huge
high about 26% improvement , that's significant

In notchbacks I have darkened the lenses from the inside using a nightshade dye spray . They now look similar to darkened windows. I use the brighter bulbs to restore the luminescence. There is a difference.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what is the difference in wattage and amperage?
I believe the tell is there. between the two different # bulbs.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use those bulbs, wouldn't it have a shorter life span because they ARE in fact brighter?

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

nice comparison here
http://automotivemileposts....tbulbcomparison.html

Nice article thanks for posting it.
tuggajb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuggajbSend a Private Message to tuggajbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just changed mine and nice improve ment
PFF
System Bot
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

If you use those bulbs, wouldn't it have a shorter life span because they ARE in fact brighter?

Not necessarily, they are built to be brighter than the other bulbs, they should last at least as long as they are rated for.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Taillight side, no. both use 2-3 watts.
Brake/turn side, Yes.
If you drive allot, especially If you spend time in heavy traffic, then you'll be changing 2357 more vs 2057.
stop/turn rated for 400 hr for 2357 vs 1200 hr for 2057.
If you use "Long Life" bulbs (You should) then ~2x normal hrs life specs or 800hrs 2357, 2000hrs 2057 for stop filament per Sylvania data

example:
My Kia calls for 2357 bulbs and spend allot of time in heavy stop/go traffic. I have to replace them every 2-3 years. Blowing stop light are safety problem but also sets ETC light on dash and disables Cruise. You have to dig thru forums etc to know blown stop light does all that.
Same traffic on Fiero w/ 2057 bulbs, I change them once in 10+ years I've own the car. Fiero doesn't know when bulbs fry off and most don't check them for dead bulbs. On notch back blowing bulbs can cause turn signal to stay on. fastback GT separate two lights so you can blow all brake lights...
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Taillight side, no. both use 2-3 watts.
Brake/turn side, Yes.
If you drive allot, especially If you spend time in heavy traffic, then you'll be changing 2357 more vs 2057.
stop/turn rated for 400 hr for 2357 vs 1200 hr for 2057.
If you use "Long Life" bulbs (You should) then ~2x normal hrs life specs or 800hrs 2357, 2000hrs 2057 for stop filament per Sylvania data

example:
My Kia calls for 2357 bulbs and spend allot of time in heavy stop/go traffic. I have to replace them every 2-3 years. Blowing stop light are safety problem but also sets ETC light on dash and disables Cruise. You have to dig thru forums etc to know blown stop light does all that.
Same traffic on Fiero w/ 2057 bulbs, I change them once in 10+ years I've own the car. Fiero doesn't know when bulbs fry off and most don't check them for dead bulbs. On notch back blowing bulbs can cause turn signal to stay on. fastback GT separate two lights so you can blow all brake lights...

Fieros are old 25-30 yr old cars. The vast majority of people that own them don't drive them every day. Life of the 2057 vs the 2357 in a Fiero is a non-issue. I need the extra brilliance as my tail lights on my notchback as they have a sunglasses type shading on them (the inside lens) for appearance. This appearance modification is illegal in some states but you can get around it by just keeping your tail lights on during the day. With the 2357's there is no noticeable difference.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Fieros are old 25-30 yr old cars. The vast majority of people that own them don't drive them every day. Life of the 2057 vs the 2357 in a Fiero is a non-issue. I need the extra brilliance as my tail lights on my notchback as they have a sunglasses type shading on them (the inside lens) for appearance. This appearance modification is illegal in some states but you can get around it by just keeping your tail lights on during the day. With the 2357's there is no noticeable difference.

Any pics of the sunglasses type shading?
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One factor people haven't talked about here is the given air space within the socket for each bulb. I think this is an important factor if you are going to use an incandescent filament type bulb. Small air space + high wattage bulb = melted plastic. Just sayin....
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 10-10-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:
One factor people haven't talked about here is the given air space within the socket for each bulb. I think this is an important factor if you are going to use an incandescent filament type bulb. Small air space + high wattage bulb = melted plastic. Just sayin....
Kit

Likely because 2357 uses 1.62 more watts on brake/turn filament, 1.4 more taillight.
1157, 2057, and 2357 use same dimensions because is same glass.

for taillight fixtures...
GT gets less air space and clearance bulb to plastic so maybe.
notch back won't have big issues using 2357.

many still offer halogen 1157 bulbs rated at 50w/15w. That will likely melt most cars light fixtures.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Any pics of the sunglasses type shading?

Not the best shot but lens dyed on the inside with a spray called "Nightshade". It makes the lens look black but the light easily shines through. About the concern that 2357 bulbs will burn hot enough to burn the plastic, its not going to happen. The signals and brake light filaments are used intermittently; with 1.4W used on the taillights its small enough not to make a difference. I've used them for years with no ill result. With the darkened lens though you must use the brighter 2357's . The greater luminescence is needed to overcome the blackened lens effect.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-12-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock