1157 LED bulbs by EvilSqueezles
Started on: 09-27-2014 03:16 PM
Replies: 14 (923 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-19-2021 10:16 AM
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried using the 1157 LED bulbs in place of the stock 2057 tail bulbs? They are a match as far as the socket goes. I'm just wondering if the extra heat they give off causes any problems. Thanks.

~James
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LEDs are cooler than a regular bulb. Sometimes they look funny because of "hot spots" - places where the centers of the LEDs are very bright.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EvilSqueezles:

Has anyone tried using the 1157 LED bulbs in place of the stock 2057 tail bulbs? They are a match as far as the socket goes. I'm just wondering if the extra heat they give off causes any problems. Thanks.

~James

They are not factory stock so you should not do it or you may die!

Kevin
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

LEDs are cooler than a regular bulb. Sometimes they look funny because of "hot spots" - places where the centers of the LEDs are very bright.

I was thinking the same thing. I was just reading through one of them and it mentioned extra heat. Hence why I asked. Maybe for some odd reason that one runs warmer? I dont know. I need all new bulbs for my new gt tails and figured I'd give an LED bulb type setup a go. If they don't work out I'll go with the LED kit here on the forums. I just don't care about the sequential lighting. So if these work they'll fit my needs much cheaper and easier. Thanks.

And to Lambonut..... I chuckled when I read that. Thanks.

~James
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have to swap out your flasher unit too. LEDs don't draw enough juice for a standard flasher to work.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drop in LED to replace Normal bulbs often perform poorly, especially in old cars. Too many products to say what is good or bad.
Most cheap LED won't last. Poor design, poorly made, or likely both.

Save power? Allot to not much, even no. If you use ballast/load resistors... LEDs plus Resistors can eat more power then using OE bulbs.

Save Heat? In most cases, Bulb Heat doesn't matter to old cars. UV light from Sun will to more damage then light bulb heat. OEMs know how to deal with heat and most times are very good light fixtures.
Example: Most taillights are in the good to better category, including Fiero, but Fiero Side markers do have heat problems and many front have turned clear from age and UV.
Park or Tail lights use 2-3w each. Taillight fixtures can handle heat makes for years.
Brake/Turn light use more power and generate more heat but most taillights can deal w/ that. Most times Brake/Turn is not on for long each time.

Dim light could be Old bulbs, Dirty Fixtures, Power/Ground problems.
Many old fixtures need cleaning and a coat of fresh spray chrome. Fiero and many others are not totally sealed and moisture/dirt can attack the paint that covers back part of fixtures.
Fiero Taillight ground is hidden under right rear fender and many have rust problem in that area.

See my Cave, Lighbulbs and LED poisoning
(Edit to relink pages)
------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-18-2021).]

85GT_3800SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT_3800SCSend a Private Message to 85GT_3800SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the led width at the base when getting led bulbs.On the ones I bought, to get the 1157 led to fit into the 2057 base, I had to shave plastic from the face of the base.I got it to work, but it wasn't plug and play. Other leds may have the correct sizing though.

[This message has been edited by 85GT_3800SC (edited 09-28-2014).]

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My advice, don't waste your money. I had installed them in my 87GT and kept them for a couple of years. Like Ogre said, they're just not bright enough and there is almost no difference between brake and running lights. It's such a subtle difference between, that if it wasn't for the 3rd brake light, people behing me wouldn't have noticed that I was on my brakes. And that's exactly what people would say when they would pull-up next to me "I think your brake lights are out." I finally reinstalled the regular bulbs.

However, if you insist on installing them, make sure that you buy the correct colors. Example, you need red LED's for tail, and Amber LED's for blinker. White LED's will overpower the stock red and amber filters and all you'll see is white light. Also, you'll need to buy two electronic flashers. One for the standard blinker (mounted low on the steering columm) and one for the hazzard lights (mounted under the dash on the passenger side footwell). Check out www.superbrightleds.com for more info. on what to buy.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Overall it doesn't sound like its worth the effort. Will have to shoot a PM to doublec4. Thanks guys, saved me a waste of time.

~James
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have LED taillights and I love them. Buy quality bulbs, not the cheap Chinese junk. The LEDs I have are at least twice as bright as the standard bulbs I had. There are a lot of bulbs on the market and they vary a lot in brightness and quality.
flexxmi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2021 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flexxmiSend a Private Message to flexxmiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all ..

Bumping this thread because it's been awhile since this topic was last addressed and there have been new LED bulbs introduced to the market since this was last discussed some time ago.

I am considering replacing my stop/turn lights in the rear of my '84 2M4 and was wondering if anyone has had great success with one maker/brand of bulb that went in easily and worked without having to replace any stock parts such as the flasher relay. I'd like a brighter bulb for the rear since the OEM bulbs are pretty dim compared to the new LED lighting but I don't want to hassle with having to do other work in order for them to work properly. I'd like a bulb that's plug-and-play, for lack of a better term.

Has anyone had success with brighter PNP LED tail bulbs?
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2021 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually Very Little has charge here, still have same or more problems to "upgrade" normal Exterior bulbs and still Illegal for Street Use in the US and many other countries. (Fix cave links above.)

Just One "new" problem not covered in the cave and this thread...

Originally posted by PaulJK:
Not when fools run "CANBUS Error free" LED. The builtin resistor for this "feature" eat same or more power then normal bulbs and heat generated by this can self-destroy the LED and/or wreck the fixture very quickly.
Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkPGqM0Sl64

Dim bulbs is often fixtures need cleaning/repainting, have wiring/socket problems, and need to check/fix those issues.
Old Bulbs can be problems too. Tungsten bulbs can get dirt on them and soot build up etc inside before they die.

If you think Factory LED Taillights, or worse Headlights, for New cars are Great... You haven't been looking at many of them. I seen many Factory LED Dead or Partly Dead and god help you if Out of Warranty for any reason because you can't replace part of them and new taillight assembly often cost $100 and more plus Time to install them. New Factory LED HL assembly cost Way More... And try to find them when car is older then 5+ years. Unless the car is a popular model, often can/will have problem getting from dealers and forget 3rd parties.

many use 2357 in Fiero. Bit brighter and light faster but generate more heat.
For notchies... isn't a problem because of big space in the fixtures.
May be a problem w/ GT in heavy traffic and using brake lights a lot. Only use 2357 w/ red lenses. Rear amber turn lights w/ bright bulbs can "blind" other drivers at night.
flexxmi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2021 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flexxmiSend a Private Message to flexxmiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ogre -

The lenses are clean and the bulbs that are in it are relatively new. I guess I just never felt they were very bright to begin with and was hoping to get a little bit more illumination out of the rear lights. No charging / power issues either. I don't have a third brake light (and don't really want one) so I was just looking to bump up the brightness a tad. Funny, because when I called O'Reilly's they said they had a 2 pack of LED replacements for this vehicle's rear lights - and that's one reason I came to this site to see what the consensus was. Guess I'll stick with what's in there as I'm not in need of a new can of worms.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by flexxmi:
Funny, because when I called O'Reilly's they said they had a 2 pack of LED replacements for this vehicle's rear lights - and that's one reason I came to this site to see what the consensus was.
Almost All parts stores, Xmarts and many others have LED "upgrades" and Most of them are label "Off Road Use Only" for the reason they are Illegal.
Some like SYLVANIA™ put this mark right on the front and easy to see.
Others like Pilot have this mark but "hidden" on back/sides and printed same or smaller main text there.

Worse Most Store Staff don't know or care. Some care but keep quiet or may lose a Job.

Then add to problems SYLVANIA and other claim BS like...
● SYLVANIA LED bulbs are able to withstand road shock and vibration for optimal performance
● This is a WHITE LED bulb – ideal for daytime running lights (DRL) and back-up/reverse lights
● ZEVO® LED Bulbs are full-power instantly for increased safety, giving drivers around you more time to react compared to incandescent bulbs' slower light-up – Every foot counts
On their web site to push LED's to ignorant buyers.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't listen to the negativity. Having great results with these They are brighter than stock. The color is bright white. Its a four row direct plug in bulb advertised sometimes as an 1157. Its brighter than the two row LED.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-19-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock