Neutral Safety Switch Problem by FieroJosh1993
Started on: 09-16-2014 05:39 PM
Replies: 9 (254 views)
Last post by: FieroJosh1993 on 09-18-2014 05:56 PM
FieroJosh1993

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok as some of you know I had a problem with the GT not starting. I found it was a bad Neutral Safety Switch, So I bought a new one and tried to take the old on off. But the bolt that goes around the arm that the shift linkage attaches to broke =( I dont know what to do now. Does this mean I need a new Trans?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can I Bypass the Switch with and Automatic Trans? Ive been searching the forums but I think everytime I read someone saying they Bypassed it they have a Manual.

Really on my last bit of patience with this thing. One problem after another.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw something on this a long time ago. IIRC, the yellow and purple wires you connect on the clutch safety switch for MT are back near the C500 on the AT models.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well I just realized even if I can bypass the switch im still screwed due to the linkage arm bolt being broken. Means new trans almost, and I dont have anymore money due to this project all together costing over $4000 bucks.

Im lost
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroJosh1993

273 posts
Member since Sep 2012
is there a way to remove the rod that goes down into the trans, This way maybe I can tap the bolt out. Im just thinking of any way possible to save this project
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drill the shaft and tap it and put a small bolt in it to hold the lever on.

or

Carefully weld a stud back onto the top of the shaft. Make sure your welder IS NOT grounding through the transmission.

Was that a bolt going down the shaft? I don't remember. The 3800 AT has a threads on the end of the shaft and a nut holding the lever on.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-16-2014).]

FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, its a stud that goes into the shaft and then a nut on top to hold the linkage arm on.

As for tapping it. How big of a tap do I need, never tapped a area that small before.

Thanks for the ideas.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too late now, but id just have connected the two wires on the switch and been done with it....

------------------
In body/paint business since 1964.

WORDS OF WISDOM... Dont fix it if it ain't broke or/ Fix it till you do break it.

FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish i had now. But gonna try a few different things before I just go out and get a new transmission. IDK just gonna take longer.

Thanks for the help guys. Any more ideas will always be good.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so i put a few coats of JB weld on the linkage arm and it looks like its holding. I can shift thru the gears and it doesnt look like the arm is trying to break free. I know this is only a temp fix, but atleast I can get the car running.

Thanks for the tips guys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock